Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pot Holes & Road Signs

Options
  • 31-03-2004 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum to post on but i am sick of the growing number of pot holes growing on many of the major commuter routes in and out of dublin and especially in around allot of the major business parks and their local roads.

Is there a proceadure for reporting them so that they can be repaired and are the council lible for any damage resulting from hitting a pot hole?

Also what causes them as some can show up; literally overnight.

===

I would also like to see allot of the road name signs returned and in some cases repositioned on every road in dublin.

While the government has made good progress in the signs around the city with the Junction numbers, many of our roads still do not have their road names on them or are not obvious to which road is which.

If local residents can't make them out, god help people from outside the city or tourists for that matter.

I do think that there should be signs indicating turn off's for streets & areas around the city.

Example:

Approacing O'Connell Bridge on the north Quays There should be signs

<-- Left for Jervis Street

Further down

--> Right for Stephens Green / Dame Street / Trinity College

These should work in conjunction with the new signs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

There's a thread on the subject of potholes here with good advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150262

I wouldn't like to be a visitor to Dublin and try following signs but then I think it's the same in any big city I've ever been in. Always had to rely on a map.

Originally posted by STaN

Also what causes them as some can show up; literally overnight.
    A lot of it can be down to just a poor foundation under the road.
    Councils continue to patch the holes but don't fix the bigger underlying problem.

While I'm on the subject, a couple of years ago when the tour de France was in Ireland, a few people up the road from me, made up a huge sign on a very pot-holey stretch of road.
    Now the potholes were more like canyons or somewhere you could go caving...

The sign read Tour de Pothole :D

Within a month of that sign going up, the council dug up the road, laid a proper foundation and the road has been perfect ever since.
    It helped that there was a headline and a photograph of the sign in the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Traffic on over used roads causes them. Part of the problem we have in this country is we drive twice as much as even the Americans and have to maintain half the road length the UK has with only a 15th of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Another good trick to getting something done about roads in your area is to have an international event held close by. Big world class golf tournaments are good. Also, invite the President to your area and guaranteed a week before she comes there will be new road surfaces all over the shop + all the weeds will be trimmed and the grass cut and everywhere will look lovely.

Failing that, take the photos of the pothole and damage to your car and take it to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Victor
    we drive twice as much as even the Americans and

Interesting. Where did you get that info Victor? Iirc the average car in the republic does about 10k miles per year, so the American car only 5k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by unkel
    Interesting. Where did you get that info Victor? Iirc the average car in the republic does about 10k miles per year, so the American car only 5k?
    It came out with the census section on travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by STaN

Approacing O'Connell Bridge on the north Quays There should be signs

<-- Left for Jervis Street

I know if I was coming down the North Quays I most definately wouldn't be going as far as O'Connell Bridge to get to Jervis Street. AFAIK there's a sign much further up on the quays for Jervis Street which sends you to the back of the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

From what I can remember, the average Irish car does 24,000km pa. Wish I could find that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I havn't got time to look right now but you should be able to dig up whatever figures you need from the 2002 census results here:

http://www.cso.ie/census/results.htm

Theres quite a lot of data there so it might take a while.

Advertisement