Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Update setting

Options
  • 31-03-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there is any way so that the automatic windows update setting in WinXP can be set so that it downloads and installs all updates and not just the critical ones. I presume there must be a tweak or registry setting somewhere

Its for a customer site, and We'd like them to keep
    as up to date as possible just to cover our own asses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Às Chipzilla mentioned, Software Update Services is what you're looking for.

A new version is coming out in the next few months and has an updated client in WIndows XP SP2 (also due out in a few months). The SUS 2.0 server will be a free download.

Critical updates are where all the security updates are distributed from. This is where AutoUpdate gets it's patches from. By enabling AU on the clients, you are ensuring that your clients have the latest security patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Thanks for that, but there's slight problems with it.

As part of our solution to our customers, we install XP clients, but there is no domain, and no 2000/2003 Server (ie there is no central management point). Also, while we have external dial in access, I'd really rather if it was done automatically rather than setting the system up and controlling which patches are installed and which arent.

I was just hoping it could install all the other non critical updates as well as the critical updates. I presumed someone somewhere would have an application that would do it. If anyone wants to write one, they can have the idea for free. Hopefully the next service pack will have something like it built in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    A new version is coming out in the next few months and has an updated client in WIndows XP SP2 (also due out in a few months). The SUS 2.0 server will be a free download.

Any chance this will run on anything less than windows 2000 server ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I run SUS on a domain controller, and its quite good actually, not sure if on runs on a non server family os

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

It works alright if you use that dodgy Windows mode changer thing, but that would be in breach of your license agreement I would imagine

Advertisement