Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection speed woes-what can I do?

Options
  • 31-03-2004 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Mods please feel free to move this if you deem it appropriate-just thought I might get more responses here than in nets/comms.

As I mentioned on this thread I have been having connection speed problems on the UTVip main number since the 19th of March. I hear three long beeps when I dial up and then connect at speeds as low as 7.2kbps (as opposed to 24 or 26k normally). Since Sunday all numbers I dial have been affected, apart from the rarely used Eircom PAYG no which connects at between 4.6 and 14.4K, but without the beeps. I even tried routing some of the PAYG numbers through 13666, but it makes no difference.

On my fourth call to UTV support last Sunday (before the other numbers were affected) I was advised to log a fault with Eircom. I duly did this via their website. Rang them a few minutes ago to check its status and was told that they have no obligation to provide any set connection speed and that the fault report shouldn't have been even sent on to an engineer (which it had been). Customer services rep then advised me to contact eircom.net. I explained to her that I don't have an account with them other than PAYG and asked how much that would cost. Was told that it is a lo-call number. Checked the website and found out it would cost me 74c per minute. :rolleyes:

Now since we left Eircom in 2002 we have been plagued by winback calls. We even got a 9pm winback visit three days before these problems started (I was stunned because we are well out in the sticks) and I had made a point of explaining how poor our Eircom PAYG speeds were in comparison to UTV speeds. Looks like I spoke too soon. :(

So now I'm back connecting at the grand speed of 7.2K again which makes the net unusable for me. I'm working at home, 100 miles from college on a thesis deadline and I can't even download documents I need from the library databases without timeouts. I am slowly going out of my head.

Any advice on how to improve the situation would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi Sunbeam I was wondering why we'd had no weather reports lately! I dunno what to suggest from a practical
    POV.

I dunno where you are or what your budget is but
    your best bet might be to go for broke and get into
    http://www.irishwan.org/ if Broadband via eircoms wiring is not viable.

Click here for BB exchanges and numbers
    http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'm afraid my budget just about stretches to the UTV XL package at the moment-can't get broadband out here yet.

I went to the Dell support site and downloaded updated drivers for my modem just in case that was the problem. Lo and behold the Pigsback PAYG and UTV XL overflow number are now connecting at 24k. The UTV XL main number was still connecting at 7.2 with no dialup tones. I uninstalled and reinstalled the dialer and I'm still connecting at 7.2 on 1893242242 (but this time with the long beeps). I even tried connecting to it without the dialer-still 7.2k

:dunno:

Advertisement