Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious speeds problems Utv

• 31-03-2004 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

:(
    Anyone else finding the speeds on utv clicksilver a disgrace my average connection speed is about 112kbits to 240kbit this month

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Same here, on IOLBB...web pages take ages to load. I couldn't even get into Boards for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

yeah , clicksilver here and there seems to be a serious issue tonight , bummer really after the work that was done today and yesterday .

Lets hope its just a hic cup .

John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

i am finding this problem all week being honest, utv have a speed test www.u.tv/speedtest posts your speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

that's a handy utility. I'm on UTV dialup flat rate and I get 29 kbit. I know not broadband but felt like posting anway!

Both Esat and IOL are effected, once again...i spoke to a supervisor at IOL today. Nobody has a clue in Esat networking what the problem is, nor can they solve it.

I was told this just now by a guy at Esat technical support. You can't pull down web pages, takes minutes or just freezes, you can't downloading any files.

It's all gone to ****e....really, the tech guy said he's taken 50 calls from pissed off customers and he only came to work at 6pm.

Nobody has a clue, nobody at Esat has any answer...my direct debit is due on April 8th, if i don't get satisfaction or compensation or a resumption of a normal service then i am going into my local AIB bank and cancelling the direct debit.

I told them this, i told the supervisor today...i will cancel and they can take me to court. I'm deadly serious....they are not providing a reasonable level of service.

They are not fixing the problem, let alone the fact they don't even know what the problem is.

I am hoping other Esat customers would join me in some form of action to hold Esat to account.

Perhaps a mass mailing exercise to both Esat and ComReg so as someone in authprity at Esat will take note and SOLVE the problem.

I appeal to Esat users who are effected or the service not as it was 2-3 weeks ago to email your complaint to Esat and ComReg.

• Advertisement

Yeah i no what you mean i was onto to tech support on Utv she told me to a ping test which i figure is pointless,cos it will take them a week to get back to me anyway,took me 20min waitin time to talk to them in the first place,its a joke like,like Utv r changin for to 24:1 ratio for a extra 15 a month but dont see why we are paying when at present its about 150:1 with the 24:1 ratio apartently it will be 80:1 if we're lucky,all service providers would wanna sort this crap out like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm only getting an average of 206kbit on that speed test this evening :/

948592 bytes transferred in 64.393 secs

115 kbit

just did a test there,i mean like what the hell is that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

948592 bytes transferred in 28.83 secs

257 kbit

Pretty er average....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Richard, nobody here seems to read the contract so I'll help you out. Here are two paragraphs from the contract you sign before you start IOLBB.

"2.1. (b) Neither party may terminate this Agreement during the Minimum Period other than as provided herein. Should the Customer terminate the Agreement prior to the end of the Minimum period the Customer shall be liable for the Termination Charge. In the event that the Customer terminates the Agreement during the Minimum Period, the Customer authorises Esat BT to debit the Termination Charge from the Customer's bank account."

"2.7. The Customer acknowledges that the bit rates on the Form in respect of the Service may be reduced by contention within the Network from time to time."

"Termination Charge means the balance of the Charges for the remanider of the Minimum Period."

I think you're fine. The contract says that the service will drop from "time to time" due to "contention in the network". However, contention is clearly not the issue. It is something else. But if you or I are wrong, then you will loose BB but have to pay the termination charge anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I don't have BB yet but I am considering but reading all the horror stories here I'm wondering is it worthwhile.

The only way you'll get action is for you all to hit them where it hurts, the pocket..... Cancel accounts or do whatever, get letters to the regulator, contact consumers magazines, contact the Irish computer mag whatever it's called, call liveline - make a stink.... set up a website ESATBTSUCKS.com and let people post their woes, then get flyers printed and stand outside their offices handing out leaflets with the website name on...

get broadband! It can be spotty and we expect perfection but once you have it you'll never go back!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

948592 bytes transferred in 90.77 secs

82 kbit

Here

Thanks UTV!

and there is me feeling sorry for myself for what i am connected to jesus thats crap,i wonder waht effect this ratio change will do it us,knowing utv prob make it slower?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by mike65
    get broadband! It can be spotty and we expect perfection but once you have it you'll never go back!

Mike.

Spotty? More like craters methinks

Expect perfection? No - just what we are paying for and some decent communications from the ISP's when there are problems

And you will never go back because you are tied into a 12 month contract and if you break that you will have to pay a disconnection fee etc etc.

when its good of course its great but the whens are decreasing as you can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I can't even get the ADSL test to finish! It's still running after 5 minutes so I stopped it.

I remember having the same problem the first time I got Clicksilver. Lots of people were having the very same problems as now. UTV eventually fixed it and afterwards, Malcolm said that they know what caused it and they now know how to fix it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Guys - I am on Clicksilver from tonight and for some reason I am loosing the signal every 10 mins or so ... better type quickly ...

Tried different usb port etc.

Any ideas ???

Could it be the card in the Exchange ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

between 60k & 200k all day. But I'm not worried, because after all, "this is eircom's fault"

Originally posted by plazz2000
    I can't even get the ADSL test to finish! It's still running after 5 minutes so I stopped it.

I remember having the same problem the first time I got Clicksilver. Lots of people were having the very same problems as now. UTV eventually fixed it and afterwards, Malcolm said that they know what caused it and they now know how to fix it quickly.

Quickly! the mind boggles. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Giganews speed test drops to 60-70kbps, Not good. I really give up with this, Pity though Eircon needs competition but this ain't it!

Sent the usual moan to utv support, I'll get a ticket number and nothing else..

Ae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

Hi all,

I'ver never really had any ping issues with UTV, normally averaging about 50ms to jolt.co.uk . Which is alright. But tonight man o man. what is going on.
    200ms average. can't play games with this. thats the f&**in story.
    Anyone heard anything .
    Malcom where are you. WHats UTV's response to thsi.

Chris.

There's obviously a major issue somewhere tonight in equipment that UTV and IOL share IOL users are complaining of appalling pings in other threads and normaly they dont get bad pings at all afaik.

214 kbps. Its getting slower allright.

It is eircoms fault, UTV and the rest are having to piggy-back on thier network.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    214 kbps. Its getting slower allright.

It is eircoms fault, UTV and the rest are having to piggy-back on thier network.

Mike.

How do you know it is Eircom's fault? And if it is Eircom's fault why are their users not posting similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Originally posted by Aepos
    Giganews speed test drops to 60-70kbps, Not good. I really give up with this, Pity though Eircon needs competition but this ain't it!

Sent the usual moan to utv support, I'll get a ticket number and nothing else..

Ae

Look guys lets take a reality check here. UTV don't give a F*** about there customer's. Its been nothing but issues over the last few weeks and there always passing the buck blameing someone else. We are paying THEM for the service. The buck stops with them as far as i'm concerned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

400+ here. I'm not going to gloat though, cos I have to get a new connection soon. I will say this though: I can't speak for Netsource cos I've never dealt with their support, but if Eircom or Esat's support is better than UTV's I'll eat my hat.

adam

like the thing is ppl ring up utv support and start freaking but its not there fault its the internal team and the thing is there not tellin support whats wrong,there shud be a direct like so we can freak at them :)

Originally posted by cregser
    Richard, nobody here seems to read the contract so I'll help you out. Here are two paragraphs from the contract you sign before you start IOLBB.

"2.1. (b) Neither party may terminate this Agreement during the Minimum Period other than as provided herein. Should the Customer terminate the Agreement prior to the end of the Minimum period the Customer shall be liable for the Termination Charge. In the event that the Customer terminates the Agreement during the Minimum Period, the Customer authorises Esat BT to debit the Termination Charge from the Customer's bank account."

"2.7. The Customer acknowledges that the bit rates on the Form in respect of the Service may be reduced by contention within the Network from time to time."

"Termination Charge means the balance of the Charges for the remanider of the Minimum Period."

I think you're fine. The contract says that the service will drop from "time to time" due to "contention in the network". However, contention is clearly not the issue. It is something else. But if you or I are wrong, then you will loose BB but have to pay the termination charge anyway.

I have read the CONtract...i still have a copy of the original when i signed up in July 2003.

I am quite happy for them to take me to court for the balance of my contract. This is not an acceptable level of service...Esat are really damaging their reputation and alot of potential customers read Boards. They keep reading about problems and they will sign with someone else.

As i said, i am not prepared to stay with Esat for much longer, i'll give it 'till April 7th and if the problems are not solved i will cancel.

in the last 10min my speed is gone from 140 to 278kbits from www.u.tv/speedtest

• Advertisement

The speed is all over the place, one minute it's fine...the next it's cack!
    It's totally inconsistent...it's as someone said, like there's a 250:1 contention or something.

Could it be an issue with the exchanges and the change over to 24:1?
    Is it something to do with backhaul?....or is some sever not transmitting data up and down as it's supposed to do?

All i know is that i can't function online like this, i can't rely on my boradband to function as it once did. I was a naysayer about Esat when i first got broadband...but after a couple of weeks it settled down and everything was cool.

I was happy overall until this issue last Thursday week with the sever problem, now it's all down hill and getting worse each day.

:confused:

Advertisement