Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dre abandons work on Detox album [article]

• 31-03-2004 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

From http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-03/29.shtml
    Dr. Dre Abandons Work on Much-Lauded Detox LP
    Deeez Nuts just wasn't made for these times

Ryan Schreiber reports:
    It was set to be "the most musically advanced hip-hop album ever," if you believe Scott Storch, the crazy rich producer who's cut tracks for everyone from Beyonce to Lil' Kim to Justin Timberlake to, of course, Dr. Dre. But late last week, Dre's long-awaited Detox album, which hip-hop heavyweight XXL Magazine called one of the year's most anticipated records, shifted status from "ever" to "never", prompting one webboarder to dub the record Smile, Mother****er!.

The album had been already been delayed several times since Dre began work on it late in 2001-- it most recently beared a tentative street date of 2005-- but in the upcoming issue of XXL, Dre reveals he's decided to drop the project completely. Dre had been working closely with Storch as a co-producer, and according to a report from MTV, had built dozens of beats for the album by January of this year, though none had been finished at that time. According to Storch, Dre's methods are incredibly meticulous: "When I work with Dre, he usually does more than 100 records and then picks his favorites... [he] always tries to top his last one. That's why he spends so much time putting them together and they don't come out every five minutes. He puts a lot of time, energy and genius into the stuff."

It did seem like a promising prospect on paper. As with his 1999 full-length, 2001, he'd planned countless guest appearances-- this time from mainstay Snoop Dogg, as well as relative newcomers 50 Cent, Eminem, Knoc-Turn'al, Busta Rhymes, and G-Unit's Lloyd Banks, plus Guvner and Game, two recent signees to his Aftermath label. "The whole family is gonna be on there," Storch had said. "If not the last Dre album, this is gonna be one of the last Dre albums we're gonna get. So he's putting a lot into it. It's just a matter of making a classic experience."

Early on, Dre described Detox as a "hip-hop musical", and revealed that it would have a conceptual bent, as well as a complete story arc. According to NME, Dre had planned to make a strong departure from the material on his previous albums, saying that all of its songs would be based on a central, ficticious character. "I'm always trying to reinvent myself and do new things," Dre told Launch in January of 2002. "My next album I really feel strong about... I'm going to have a lot more time to work on this record than I've had before, and I feel like I've already got my first single for that record. I have probably about five tracks for it that I'm really feeling. They're really different. I know this is probably going to be my best record. It's gonna be different. It's going to be a breath of fresh air, and I'm not going to stop until I feel like it is that way."

It was rumored that Dr. Dre would bow out of the music business once Detox was complete, but all that's up in the air now, as he begins production work on Busta Rhymes' forthcoming album, due to hit stores in 2005, as well as upcoming releases from Eminem and 50 Cent.

.: Dr. Dre: http://www.dre2001.com/

bleh, like Dj Shadow said back in 96 "Its the money"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

april fools joke tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Originally posted by SheroN
    april fools joke tbh.

Yeh, because we all know that albums never get postponed or cancelled. As for producing Eminem, 50 cent and Bustas next albums, well thats just a joke. I dont think he's ever even met them. And we all know April Fools jokes are always played in March.

Apart from that, as much as I think Dre is a cockroach it would be a pity if his album got cancelled. Chronic 2001 was pretty decent, a follow up would be great.

Yeh because we all know you're a COCK. It's publicity for the album i would imagine.

Yeh because we all know you're a COCK. It's publicity for the album i would imagine.

Publicity is a long way from being an April fools joke. And you "imagine" it was a publicity stunt. When they cancelled Geri Haliwells album, was that all publicity?

And why the f*ck would Dr. Dre of all people need the publicity? He is one of the most successful producer/rappers ever. That album would go platinum in its first week.

BTW. Who is we? Enough of the lame name calling. You haven't got a f*cking clue what you're talking about.

I apologise to he who knows about all things rap and hip hop.

• Advertisement

I apologise to he who knows about all things rap and hip hop.

I never took that opinion, just the opinion that you were talking bo**ox. I dont think that anyone who posts in this forum would disagree with what I said, apart from you of course.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

feedeth not ye trolls Linoge ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Whether it is true or not, the double cd is available to download if you know where to look.

Advertisement