Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APTN pictures of attack on Foreign civilians in Iraq

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by daveirl
    I never said it wasn't. Oil along with settling a grudge and PR were the reasons for the war IMHO. I've always held that opinion. I just think that securing a stable supply of oil was the reason, not robbing Iraq of it's oil.

and that is justification for the death of over 10000 iraqi's in your opinion?
    not to mention creating a new ground for fresh Al Queda recruits

No it's not. I agree. Can you get it into your head that I'm anti-war. I just don't think that America pulling out now would make the world or Iraq a better place. It's the lesser of two evils. Everyone critized them for letting Afghanistan decend into Chaos after the Soviets pulled out, and I for one would like to see a stable democratic Iraq.

The War happened, I was against it. I can't change what happened but I hope Iraq does have a stable future.

Do a search on my posts since about Dec-2002 I haven't been pro-war at all.

there will NEVER be true democracy in Iraq as long as the American's are incharge. A truly democratic government might decide its not in their best intersts to sell all their oil to america, or to pay well "over the top" for reconstruction to only american companies, etc etc etc. The only way Iraq could have democracy is if the UN was incharge, but the US won't let that happen. The only way things will get better for the Iraqi ppl is if the US is removed and the UN takes its place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Does anyone know of a listing of all the companies (US or otherwise) that have acquired contracts in Iraq (due to the war)? If so I will do some research on them and try to discover who benefits from these companies.

My thanks,

Nick

Originally posted by Memnoch
    there will NEVER be true democracy in Iraq as long as the American's are incharge. A truly democratic government might decide its not in their best intersts to sell all their oil to america, or to pay well "over the top" for reconstruction to only american companies, etc etc etc. The only way Iraq could have democracy is if the UN was incharge, but the US won't let that happen. The only way things will get better for the Iraqi ppl is if the US is removed and the UN takes its place.
    I'm of the belief now that the U.S forces should have pulled out of Iraq six months ago.
    They have achieved the aims that they "claimed" for their invasion, ie, they now "know" that there are no wmd's there and they have got rid of Saddam.
    The UN are more than capable of organising free and fair elections and it's quite an obvious deduction that a new government would be islamic given the population breakdown.
    At this stage, they have become occupiers rather than liberators and have rose to the taunts of those that want the americans to shoot as much as possible and lose all the respect of the locals.

That said, I don't think it's true to say that, there can never be democracy when the U.S troops are there.
    A free election can and probably will take place, just like they do in Germany where there are plenty of US troops stationed.
    Where the problem lies however is , the popular resentment towards those troops being there.
    That is more likely to have the more harmfull effect on democracy there than anything else in my humble opinion.

The U.S appear to be damned if they stay and damned if they go, as no doubt, the likes of the people who have already blown up UN buildings and personell in Iraq will continue to do so.
    It's in their interests to creat a great war between the heathen Christian west and islam , with the ultimate aim of the latter converting all the former.
    Thats an AlQu'eda objective,I'm just wondering when that will get through to the heads of the current U.S administration... as their actions are now fostering support for it...
    But then,preventing the oil getting into the hands of islamofascists seems to be a more important priority for Bush, creating democracy with a common sense and respectfull approach to the locals comes a very poor second these days.

How would having the UN in charge be true democracy? I'd be pretty sure the Iraqis would rather govern their own affairs and the current US setup is attempting to do that. I really do hope the yanks ask the UN to get involved but even then Iraq won't be really democratic until the troops leave.

you misunderstand... the yanks will never allow the iraqi's to govern their own affairs. They don't want to take the risk that a democratically elected iraqi government will renege on its contracts and oil deal to the US no matter what the consequences. When I say the UN should be incharge. I mean the UN should be incharge of conducting fair democratic elections, and then supporting the government until an iraqi army is established.

And as has been pointed out, the Iraqi Puppet Council seem a bit unhappy with their puppet masters...

Advertisement