Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a sim-card for the states...

Options
  • 31-03-2004 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

I'm going to the states for a couple of weeks at the end of April and I was wondering if I would be able to buy a sim card/sim pack over the counter like here? I have a nokia 3200 which is triband, but as far as I can make out Speakeasy roaming is not covered by O2 in the states...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi BigCon

Try www.attwireless.com but although it's prepay and no contract they still want you to use direct debit or credit card. A cash payment will take 3 to 5 working days to process. (I know from bad experience.)
    I got their $19.99 plan. The Store I went to gave me the SIM card for free.
    I explained to them that I was only in the country for two weeks and just wanted a SIm card with credit. They used the Store address for me and it worked. But i have to say i would not go through it that way again.

The next time I was over I poped into a www.cingular.com shop and picked up a sim card no questions asked. I had to pay $15 for the SIM and I bought $30 credit.
    I only gave my name, they did not want an address or anything.
    So if you just want to walk into a shop and buy a simcard go to Cingular.

T-mobile are also in the USA but i found their priceplans too expensive.

I still have a Cingular SIM if youd like to try it.

Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by BigCon
    I can make out Speakeasy roaming is not covered by O2 in the states...

It is ... O2 have roaming with speak easy in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Before buying a foreign SIM, just make sure your handset is not locked to your home network. (see numerous threads here re unlocking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

just did a post on this a few days ago, have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146691

The ways things are going you need a quad band phone for GSM stateside (850/1900 for us and 900/1800 for europe) TDMA coverage is much better anyway, have a look at my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you'll get improved coverage in more areas with a quad-band alright as they roll out more of the 850 network to supplement their existing 1900 network - but it's not like our tri-band phones are redundant just yet, i've had grand coverage in the various places I've visited in the US with a 'regular' tri-band 900/1800/1900 handset - so it would depend where you are visiting

hopefully the US networks will offer some sort of coverage maps that highlight where the two networks operate - until there is more choice for quad-band handsets

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Fungus,

Just checked the O2 site again and the U.S. is not listed as being a speakeasy roaming country...

Roaming with O2
    Below is the list of roaming partners that O2 have agreements with.
    Country Operator
    Austria One Connect
    Czech Republic Eurotel
    Denmark Sonofon
    Finland Sonera
    France SFR
    Germany O2
    Greece Stet Hellas
    Greece Vodafone
    Guernsey Cable & Wireless
    Hungary Westel
    Hungary Landsimmin
    Italy TIM
    Netherlands T-Mobile
    Poland Polkomtel
    Portugal Optimus
    Spain Vodafone
    Spain Telefonica
    Sweden Telia
    Sweden Europolita
    Switzerland Swisscom
    UK O2

They 100% definitely have roaming coverage in the states. My American mate is on speak easy and she has been using her phone there for over 9 months on speak easy (just so she can text home cause her AT&T plan does not allow international texts).

I know other who have done it as well.

Call customer care and ask them. That list looks really dated.

Hmmm, interesting. I just phones customer care and they said that although they supported roaming last year in the U.S. they "don't have it yet this year"...

Seems very strange...

reckon I'll just buy a sim card when I get there...

Originally posted by BigCon
    Hmmm, interesting. I just phones customer care and they said that although they supported roaming last year in the U.S. they "don't have it yet this year"...

Crap Crap Crap .... My mate was roaming at the start of this year with speakeasy in the states. It will work over there.

Hope you're right - I'll know in three weeks either way;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement