Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting written-off car back on the road

Options
  • 01-04-2004 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

OK, fist the circumstances....

My brother crashed his car recently. There was a lot of panel damage done, but no chassis damage. The insurance has written off the car as an economic write-off (i.e. it costs more to fix than its worth). The car has been assigned a salvage value of €1'500 by the insurance company, which means he can keep it for this price (his compensation will be: [value of the car before crash] - [salvage value]). So the car itself has not been mechanically written-off, that is, he doesn't have to destroy the car and he retains ownership.

Now what he was asking me to find out was what are the implications of fixing this car up and putting it back on the road. Is there any problem with insuring this car again one it is fixed? Has anyone (or known anyone) gone through this procedure before.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive put a few economic write offs back on the road.Usually by calling in a few owed favours and getting parts for little or nothing.
    Most times its just a matter of repairing the car and reinsuring it and because its only an economic write off there isnt any problems with doing this.

In the event of a mechanical write off its a matter of getting the whole car tested by an official insurance company recommended tester after the repair is complete,and in some cases the if the car needs a new chassis/engine etc then there are implications with changing the log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Thanks for the reply.

Its the same situation with him, he has a lot of mates in the business and reckons he can get it looked after pretty cheeply.
    However I think it does need a new engine. I didn't think that would effect anything, I thought an engine change (as long as its the same size engine) was a fairly normal occurance and didn't warrent any change to a log book or anything. I'll say it to him to ask around about where he stands if the engine is replaced.
    Can anyone here clarify if an engine replacement requires a change to the log book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    Thanks for the reply.

Its the same situation with him, he has a lot of mates in the business and reckons he can get it looked after pretty cheeply.
    However I think it does need a new engine. I didn't think that would effect anything, I thought an engine change (as long as its the same size engine) was a fairly normal occurance and didn't warrent any change to a log book or anything. I'll say it to him to ask around about where he stands if the engine is replaced.
    Can anyone here clarify if an engine replacement requires a change to the log book.

Technically speaking you do have to notify the Tax office if you change the engine.But nobody ever does once its the same size engine.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

If your car is deemed Beyond economical repair by the insurance company, you are entilted to get it repaired at your own cost. The only obligation on you is to have it assessed by an independent motor assessor afterwards. Once he passes the car roadworthy again you must send a copy of his report to your insurance company/broker before the car can be re-insured.

As far as the new engine, i think you just need to notify the tax office so they can change the engine code on your records.

Advertisement