Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test waterford

Options
  • 01-04-2004 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im about to take my driving test in waterford city and was wondering does anyone have any tips on where abouts the hill starts, reversing corners and 3 point turns would be. I am aware of bunkers hill and blakes lane for some of the hill starts. But would like to know more just to get more practice in. thanks :O))

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Bunkers Hill also known a Manor hill is a favourite, especially now that they have
    put the traffic lights there, so I would get some practice there as it is faairly steep... and even if you dont go that route, then its still a good place to get some practice..

The 3 point turns tend to be on the outskirts of the town, usually on a straight
    enough road, like Paddy Browns Road etc.

The reversing is usually done away from traffic like in a housing estate, mine was
    done in an estate up near hillview and Ive known a few who were the same..

Best of luck with it..

I would advise to get a few lessons from a driving instructor before you take the test. As if like me, you had been driving for a year or two before doing the test then you will have picked up some very bad habits.

If you need the name of a good instructor drop me a pm and Ill give you the details.

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks for the advice. I have started back on the lessons again last tuesday so it gives me just about 2 weeks before the test. Ive been trying my 3 point turns around the tycor I heard from a friend thats where she did hers. The roads are very tight around there arent they. Im going to do an hour every evening also and get at least 5 lessons. I hope i pass even if its just to bring my insurance down a bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah Tycor is a bit tight, but you will find that its just a matter of habit and the way
    you do it in a driving test compared to the way you actually do it in real life are 2 completely different things.. its just takes some practice and a bit a concentration..

The secret to a 3 point turn is to try and make the most out of the first turn, that way
    the car about 60% of the way there by the time you are reversing.. Always try and turn the steering wheel when the car is in motion as it makes it slightly easier than
    when its stopped.

Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on..

Tox

Thanks for the tips.... I will make sure to practice those turns loads. I suppose if i work very hard on the tycor roads and if i manage to get them i can do most roads then. I will let you know how i get on its in about 2 weeks so fingers crossed. If you think of anything else that might help me please let me know. Im trying to get myself as prepared as possible :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Afaik, some centres (I don't know about Waterford) prohibit instructors from bringing people on the test routes during working hours but you should be able to get them to bring you around it.

Once you've gotten your driving quality out of the way go through a check list for the car you're sitting the test in. It would be a real pain in the ass if the tester didn't let you hit the road :(

• Advertisement

yeah ive just replaced my back tyres cause i think they could have been borderline. ive also to get a new handle for the passanger seat as it was broken and that meat you couldnt adjust the seat. Ive heard the testers in waterford are big men so im getting a new one monday cause the last thing i want to do is p them off and have them sitting uncomfortably during the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Afaik, some centres (I don't know about Waterford) prohibit instructors from bringing people on the test routes during working hours but you should be able to get them to bring you around it.

How can they prevent it. It is a public road and anyone can drive it at any time.

I am sure they are aware of that but they are offering helpful tips to me and it is well appreciated. Any advice given is helpful to me.

Advertisement