Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expanding WiFi Networks with Laptops?

• 01-04-2004 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

This might be a silly question, but who knows...

If several users are a using WLAN with a single Access Point would it be possible to use the individual wireless cards to boost the signal? Say, in a similar fashion to the way repeaters and amplifiers work on analogue lines.

I only ask because I am currently in DIT Kevin st, and the library has the worst set up possible for Laptop users. The AP is at the opposite end of the library to the area where laptop users can sit. And Line of site is virtually impossible due to a great big atrium in the middle.

Thanks anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Depends on your wireless card and OS. With Linux and a card with drivers available capable of acting as an AP or backup AP (repeater mode) it is possible.

EDIT:

Re-read your post. The repeater would need to be in between the AP and the end of the library, so what I suggested won't really help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

No, That would be possible as there are one or two power points inbetween the AP and the main Laptop area.

What would be difficult however is getting people to use Linux. We nearly have "Powered by Microsoft" writen on our degrees.

I've been having a look on google, but haven't come up with anything. If I see something I'll let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Id did see mention of a piece of software on theregister.com that basic does the wirelessnetworking equivalent of a p2p client. It basically turns all pc's with a wireless network card into virtual AP's, which then just forward packets between them until they reach their destination.

Cant remember the name of the company or how far they were from releasing the software........

Yeah, The company is called cirond. That looks a little interesting, although possibly a bit too pricey for students (ie price != 0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well i my card won't work quite right in Linux for some reason. No honest idea why it does that. I will have to try and find out whats wrong someday. Yeah its is true Windows is the predominant OS here, but if you do CSAA in FT228-3 or in one of the other computer course you do quite a bit on Linux and what not. Yeah the wifi set up is complete ****, i am hearing they might expand the network next year with some luck. The only other thing would be to use Aungies St library which is far better overall.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, if you do CSAA, then you can't do work experience (which was the best part of the course imo)

I wasn't asking about this with a view to doing anything in particular about it in KST, but just looking at the setup got me thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well work experience isn't for everyone. I have heard some people loving it and also heard a fair share who hate it. Having said that there are one or 2 lads who hate CSAA, but they seem to do that about everything in anyways.

As for the network with luck they will improve things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People propose MESH networks (google) every so often, the idea is that if you can see the AP and some one can see you then you can link them to the AP.

There are several propitary solutions but mucho expensive and most definitely not interoperable.

I've not seen a way of getting windows to have WiFi card to work as AP without hack of doubtful legality (flashing an orinico each time driver loads) or additial softwar cost (and if that companies AP drives were ten times as good as the client drivers they would still be unusable).

Ad Hoc peer to peer mode sounds like it might work - except it has problems when you have more than two clients.

The way the industry want you to do it is to buy more access points - preferrably ones with two wireless devices and even better if they need special licenses to talk to each other (Orinoco / Avaya). Only in the last year or two have AP's with client mode become common and even then they don't change mode between each packet.

Another problem is that store and forward implies either loosing half the bandwidth (at least) if you stay on the same channel or channel hopping which I guess leads to all sorts of hidden node problems and all sorts of re-negotation problems.

To get internet access you will need TCPIP so you need to work out how to allocate dynamic IP's and gateways - especially since many of the devices more than a hop away won't be able to see a DHCP server - If it's a project you could just wave a magic wand and say IPv6 will sort that bit out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by wes
    Well i my card won't work quite right in Linux for some reason.

Whats the model / make of wireless card? The majority of wireless cards have working Linux drivers these days. Check http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ just to make sure. Unfortunately some wireless cards require you to download and compile drivers. This isn't overly difficult, but would not be considered simple for a Linux beginner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not all cards can act as AP's - firmware features needed - some of which can be flashed or done by drivers..

If it is a notebook with centrino - linux drivers
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?p=8039#post8039

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 namit_coro

just get them to move the AP

I was just wondering if it is possible to do, rather than wanting to change the specific setup in the library.

Firstly, admins may not like snotty nosed undergrads telling them what to do and secondly, I'll only be a snotty nosed undergrad for another 30 days.

Ah so what you want is a stronger signal - not a new protocol...

If you have a PCMCIA wireless card you could add an external antenna to it's conenctor if it has one

If it don't have a connector or uses and internal antenna or built in wireless card then change the orientation of the laptop - move books on the shelves so you have line of sight to the AP - or get some thin foil to act as a reflector..

Advertisement