Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange EMail problem - ideas please

Options
  • 01-04-2004 1:29pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this but if its in the wrong forum I apologise in advance.

I have an email account with Ireland.com and you can use it as webmail or ordinarily through outlook etc.

Last week I was a away for a few days and I sent a few emails to work (a nameless large organisation) from an internet cafe using the browser. The emails never arrived. I am presuming for the moment that for some reason they are being picked up by the spam detector as other emails sent the same day to other addresses arrived ok.

Now heres the problem - when I send an email to work using outlook with the same ireland.com email address it gets through no problem.

So I am wondering does an email even with the same 'from' address appear different in some way to a spam detector depending on whether its sent from a webmail type origin or an outlook origin.

Incidentally since I got back I have repeated the sending from a webmail page and it still does not get through. I have also sent one from a hotmail address and that got through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ireland.com outsourced their email to the Notorious Outblaze a few years ago...when they decided to stop running the service themselves.

About 10 Gazillion dspams a month go thru Outblaze ( they also do all the services offered on the Mail . Com page ) .

Unlike Hotmail and Yahoo Outblaze dont give a fiddlers about spammers so thats the main reason Ireland.com are probably blacklisted along with mail.com and the like. My suggestion is they get a REPUTABLE hosting service to run the service and not a cheapo shower like Outblaze.

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes but when I send a message using outlook with the same ireland.com from address it gets through? whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dub45
    Yes but when I send a message using outlook with the same ireland.com from address it gets through? whats the difference?
    Assuming you're using smtpx.ireland.com as your smtp server for sending emails it goes a different route - presumably nowhere near Outblaze and hence isn't blocked. If you're using the smtp server provided by your ISP, it doesn't even go anywhere near the ireland,com servers on the way out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am using utv's smtp on the way out. So a spam detector then works on the originating source rather than the from address? I was not aware of that.

Advertisement