Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exclusive: Giggs Bound For Barca

• 01-04-2004 2:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Man yoo and Barcelona agreed a fee for Giggs this morning, he will sign a three year contract this evening and will be at thier match for a press confrence this weekend.

(all from Soccerage.com).

SoccerAge.com can exclusively reveal that Manchester United's Ryan Giggs will sign for Barcelona in the summer.

The Welsh international winger has spent his entire career at Old Trafford, but is to finally move on as part of Sir Alex Ferguson's end of season revamp.

The clubs have reached an undisclosed agreement for the 30-year-old, who will put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

The arrival of Giggs will be followed by Edgar Davids and David Trezeguet if Barcelona's president Joan Laporta gets his way.
    SA Europe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's nothing on www.manutd.com the official website to confirm this.

I wouldn't believe a word of it. United have to announce all major business dealings to the London Stock Exchange too, and there's nothing on bbc either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by seansouth
    There's nothing on www.manutd.com the official website to confirm this.

I wouldn't believe a word of it. United have to announce all major business dealings to the London Stock Exchange too, and there's nothing on bbc either.

They don't have to announce talks.
    I was told this by someone from spain (living in Athlone) and I didn't believe it untill I checked up.

Soccerage are usually right, as far as I know they have never been wrong about something when they stuck thier neck out like this before.

And it makes sense, overmars is past it and they need a left winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What date is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What date is it today again?

Originally posted by The Muppet
    What date is it ?

This isn't a joke.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Seaneh
    This isn't a joke.

Ya think?

TBH it would not suprise me to see giggs move in the summer as he was to be sold last summer until he got his form back and the demise of becks but I am sceptical abot this story because of the source and the timing of the announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its customary to carry out these jokes before noon.

I think there is a rhyme about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They don't have to announce talks.

But going by what you said, about the press conference this weekend, it would seem to be more than talks.

Anyway, in recent times, any transfer dealings involving Manchester United have been carried out very much in the public eye, nothing so cloak and dagger as this seems.

Oh, and it is April 1st after all.

If by source you mean me, then you can check out Soccerage for yourself.
    It's an Italian run site and they don't tend to do the whole april fools thing in Italy, add that to them almost always being spot on when they commit to something like this, the fact that they have full time contact at a lot of the biggest clubs (they run thier web pages) and they only use reliable firsthand sources and I think I'll believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Had heard strong rumours of Giggs departing United at the end of the season, these are just rumours i reckon, cant see fergie departing with one of his more expierienced players. Instead i believe he will try to buy competition for the position and try to get more out of Giggs. Barcelona are a handy club to link players to as well....being linked with every player this side of kentucky.

john

• Advertisement

If by source you mean me, then you can check out Soccerage for yourself.

No I didn't mean you I meant the source , soccerage.

I still won't believe Giggs is going until I hear an official announcement for the reasons I already stated. On the other hand united already have his replacement in Ronaldo so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Wouldnt be a great loss to United. Giggs is well past it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Last time giggs got this much stick, he scored that memorable goal against arsenal in villa park, apparently just before he scored someone gave him abuse for playing so poorly......

viera oh oh oh he gave giggs the ball....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

nah i dont think giggs is that passed it he still does a top job for man u. Ronaldo at this moment in time is no where near as good as giggs and someone would want to teach the guy the meaning of the word "tackle" because i dont think he has ever heard it before!he isnt a left sided player either

Giigs does an excellent job tracking back and rains in with his fair amount of goals too. I have never been a huge admirer of giggs but i do think he is a good player and utd. should not think of selling him until they buy a suitable replacement who is an actual left sided winger.

Ronaldo has already played on the left for united this season and put in a good performance. Agreed his tackling and tracking back is not as good as Giggs but that can be improved by coaching, we have already seen a reduction in the amount of Stepovers and he is improving nicely winning a couple of man of teh match awards in his first season.

Giggs does not score the amount of goals a player with his talent should but he is highly respected by united fans who would be saddened to see him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Kingp35
    ......until they buy a suitable replacement who is an actual left sided winger.....

Duff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Duff!
    I was just about to say this. Duff has been liked with United so many times in recent weeks, this only adds to the speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just noticed that it has nothing about it in the popup window on soccerage.com, why would this be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

as a united supporter it will be hard to see giggs leave (it this is true) as he has served the club for soo long!!! i think its just more media hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, theres definately truth in this, i first heard this on tuesday, barca are supposed to be going to offer 8m for giggs. i think fergie has had enough of giggs' poor performances, thats why he's willing to let him go in the summer. also i think giggs wants to move on.

however, barca are not the only ones interested, Inter Milan and Valencia are also interested. forlan's also supposed to be going in the summer, probably to spain.

despite the date, i assure you this isnt a joke. although talk that he will sign the contract soon (within the next few days) is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That would suck, Giggs is my favorite player since I started following football :(

Also, RONALDO IS A LEFT WINGER!!!!!!
    A very good one too, way better than he is on the right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

While Ronaldo is a very promising prospect unfortunately thats all he is imo.

That said Giggs is getting on in years and if this is true (which i highly doubt) 8million is a very nice sum as long they buy a good replacement whihc will serve man u for the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Scammo

If its true then 8 million aint bad for a 30+ player also on teamtalk.com the other day it said Man U were lining up a bid for Valencia's left winger Vicente. Apparently he aint a bad player as Madrid and Milan are also interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

8m is alot but i still dont feel there is a better left winger easily available and willing to move.

i thought giggs this season has improved on last season and in the champions league against porto i saw that old sparkle he had weaving past players.

i still feel he's a big asset for utd and if he wants to stay i think he should, however fergie mightnt.

giggs praised inter recently and tipped them to win the champs league so maybe he's his sights set on them.

Advertisement