Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Mice for games - Wired or Wireless?

Options
  • 01-04-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

To settle an argument: Whats more popular these days, Wired or Wireless for gameplaying?

Apart from gamers, Im sure everyone has would switch to wireless without issue. I just always found wireless mice to be rather poor response wise with the added hassle of maintaining batteries..

Matt

Gameplaying Mice - Wired or Wireless 52 votes

Wireless all the way!
    0% 0 votes
    Wired - Im oldschool
    25% 13 votes
    I hate mice
    75% 39 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I won a microsoft wireless optical mouse recently,but the problem is with the software.The intellipoint 5 software is fookin useless,it dosent let you bind the mouse buttons to have differant functions.What were microsoft thinking -when i press mouse wheel down '' the default is next page'' it go's back into windows to switch webpages :eek: and it wont let you change it.Iv had to revert to the intellipoint 4 drivers to use the button properly ( but there is still lag when i press it ) and iv lost all the signal,battery info in the mouse settings...nightmare.

If they released a fix for this i might stick with the wireless one but for now it's wired.:rolleyes:

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Wireless and optical man myself. Doesn't seem any less responsive than any of the other mice I've ever had.

The batteries are the only draw back. I had to get some high capacity rechargable ones because I was going through them so quickly. The new wireless mice have rechargable docking stations though, that would be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Wired all the way, wouldnt want to play an important clan/league game and suddenly lose a mouse half way through :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I have a wireless microsoft optical, i dont think the response is different, but in saying that you get more lucky shots in then i do so maybe it is a bit slower...

I havent had to change the batteries since i got it, 3 or 4 months +

My brother has the Logitech MX770, which has a charger cradle, so batteries are recharged every night. It wasnt that expensive compared to the non-rechargable ones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I have a logitech wireless desktop MX and it's a great improvement on being wired. I find both mouse and keyboard are fully responsive, and less restrictive than the wired versions. I had a MS Intellipoint mouse and was told the software that comes with it is spyware :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Wireless optical mouse from Kensington that I got from Dell with my laptop is the greatist heap of shoite I've ever had the misfortune to play on.

Barely any response on the X-axis (left/right), even with increased sensitivity. I'll go check if there's any more up-to-date drivers available, but I doubt it...

After playing (or trying to play) UT2004 just now - was like wrestling a rhino covered with treacle :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Epitaph
    Wireless optical mouse from Kensington that I got from Dell with my laptop is the greatist heap of shoite I've ever had the misfortune to play on.

There you go "from Kensington", Microsoft got something right for once, or mabye just a good copy of something done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I always use a wired optical mice. The ball mice just don't compare to it. I've tried to use a wireless optical mouse, but it just felt to...disconnected (no pun intended...). Plus my optical mouse here has 2 scroll wheels and 2 side buttons aswell. So I can basically play a game with the mouse only! Well...it just makes it a lot handier..(again, no pun intended...right I'm leaving).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wired all the way...

I've a logitech MX500 optical, and it's the absolutely best mouse in existance! I couldn't imagine having my batteries die during a game though, and the hassle involved, so no wireless for me! Same for wireless headphones... Gimmie my wired Sennheisers any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Same for wireless headphones...

I agree with you there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have a Chic wireless set.
    Dead cheap but excellent.
    Never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

if u have a good wireless mouse(eg.mx700) its as good and handier what with no wires and stuff. though u do need one with a recharger otherwise its a riip off

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Gave that new wireless intellipoint 5 a go, but just couldn't get used to the weight of it. The shape is great, much prefer it to any other mouse out there.

But for any clan matches whatever it's back to the old trusty wired Intelli 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

When you say weight, do you mean it was too light or heavy? Ive always wanted my mice to be kinda clunky, but I notice others taking weights out of the mice to make them super light!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Yeah i like my mouse to be as light as possible. Something with good grip cos i'm usually picking it up alot during gaming. The Intelli 5 shape is perfect, if only it came wired :dunno:

Maybe i'll give logitech a go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

wired, have tried wireless ones in game and they just didnt seem half as responsive so i gave up with them

plus the battery thing would really annoy me, ive spent grands on my computer as it is without having to buy new packs of batteries every other day..

sennheiser headphones > all i would say yes :)

brother bought a really good pair for recording and i nicked them off him to stop the noise from my pc coming out the 5.1 speakers + stereo at night.. ( he wasnt chuffed but screw it im in another country :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I tried wireless but I use the mouse so much I was changing batteries every 2 months or so which was far too much of a pain in the arse.

Now I have an MS intellipoint optical and I love it dearly even if it is starting to go a bit wierd on me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    Gave that new wireless intellipoint 5 a go, but just couldn't get used to the weight of it. The shape is great, much prefer it to any other mouse out there.

But for any clan matches whatever it's back to the old trusty wired Intelli 3.0

Yeah, the shape and feel of this mouse is great. I also still use the old MS wired optical wheel mouse (is this the 3.0?) for games on my work laptop. I found the smooth scroll wheel on the 5 way to sensitive. Cycled through all the weapons in UT in about 5 nanoseconds... :dunno:

The Logitec Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse combo it supposed to be excellent, but expensive, although you can use the BT hub for other things...

EDIT:
    Got home, turned on the machine and after a few mins msg pops up telling me the power is getting low in the mouse. How long have I had the batteries? About a month, the batteries that came with the mouse brand new. The "New Improved" Intellimouse where the batteries are supposed to last 6 months? Crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Wireless and optical mouse which i picked up last year for around 29euros in Aildi

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Been using a Logitech Cordless Optical for a while now, very happy with it. Combine it with a set of rechargable batteries and everything is cool.

Looking at the Logitech MX700 (or later) but that won't be for a while yet as I'm happy with my current mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I use Logitech Wired Optical for gaming.

I think wireless mice are 99.9% as reliable as their wired counterparts now (unlike the original ones) but I won't pay a large premium any peripheral just because it hasn't got a wire. When I use my PC I'm always sitting at my desk - why would I want to be able to wirelessly point and click.

Also, mislaying a wired mouse while it's attached to your PC would be a reall skill. I'm sure there are people here who have had to spend time searching for their wireless pointing device.

Advertisement