Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handball - the greatest GAA sport of them all??

• 01-04-2004 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I think so!!

Much better than Gaelic football, hurling just about comes close to it.

both boys and girls can play, you can play handball till you are 70, no hard physical contact, uses both sides of the body, playing the sport is your training!! You don't get wet! No chance of a dirty pull across your face, or an elbow into the head.

brady6.jpg

www.handball.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

But what a lot of people enjoy is the physicalness of the 2 other sports IMHO anyway . I love to give some1 a shoulder and send them fliying to the ground , the same if some1 send me flying :rolleyes: ( like that would happen ) . Also u cant have a 15 a side hanball match either . But i suppose its all realy up to the person and what they enjoy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

always been a bigger fan of team games, also I love out door sports and I love a good honest physical game.... I guess there are a lot of other people that think the same as I do.

Handball is a good sport...its not a great sport.
    Olympic handball looks like fun too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Handball is better for fitness than almost all other sport, as it uses both sides of the body. This is a great document which shows the various sports & daily activity and how useful they are for excercise...

[URL=http://]http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf[/URL]

The non-physical aspect of Handball is one of the reasons nobody gets injured, boys and girls can play together and people play it into their 60's and 70's.

olympic handball is a bit crap tbh. A sport invented by the europeans

yes but it lacks what im looking for in a sport, Im sure its excellent for fitness...and its great that noone get hurt ....but like many others that not our defanition of a great sport.

I still think Olympic handball looks like fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'm with Alany. I am not saying handball is a bad sport but I do think that the physical nature of football and hurling are what the attraction is. For the same reason I think soccer has now gone too soft, although they are letting alot more tackles go now then they were last season. Also I like team sports as it is alot more of a challenge for a team to play well together then it is for an individual to.

• Advertisement

"there's nowhere to hide in a handball court" I think best illustrates that it is more of a mentally and physically challenging sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i used to love watching it,was always crap at playing... some people are just gifted at it.. a lot of the outside alleys are now tore down though.. shame

It's all gone indoors, thats why people think its dying off. There's still over 220 registered handball clubs around the country though and even more who play it outside of GAA handball clubs.

the reason the many of alleys are falling into disrepair is cause most GAA prople don't really consider handball a full GAA sport - though its older than football. Its paid lip service most of the time.

Maybe a poll would show what is peoples favourite GAA sport. I cant see handball winning, but it will be an interesting poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i enjoy playing both football and handball,because of where im from i only ever played hurling in secondry school,and i enjoyed it but our team were rubbish!

id prefer football over handball as i prefer training and playing with a group or team and there really is nothing that beats catching a ball with 4 fellas hanging off you or putting in a block that stops a point or goal or alas more rarer for me scoring a crucial point or goal when the chips are down in a championship and all your mates are playing or watching from the sidelines.the physical aspect of the game is what i love,the injurys and interference from opposition officials and messing around of fixtures is what i dislike.

handball is a tough game and often i was as sore after a handball match as a gaelic match,but it just lacks something for me,plus some of the people that play are unbelievably fanatical and never quit talking bout how great "their" sport is,which i find somewhat amusing but annoying.saying that i dont tink i was ever talking to someone that played handball that hated it...

so thats a long way of saying football is better!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement