Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many miles?

Options
  • 01-04-2004 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,
    I recently changed my car. I got a '98 1.6 Ford Mondeo.
    One of the reasons I got this car was according to what I could read it got very good mpg. I have since found that it's not getting as many miles as I expected, but find it very hard to get any info detailing just how many miles I should be getting for my money.
    For €25 (buying petrol for abour 90c per lit.) I get around 190 miles. These are mostly city miles, but I don't sit in traffic every day.
    Can anyone tell me if that is what I should be expecting and what you are getting - even with different cars.

Many thanks,
    Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

That works out at about 31 mpg, thats not too bad if its all city driving. Its what you would expect from a 1.6

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There is a big difference between city and country miles..

I have a 97 Mondeo, 1.6Ltr and again, the difference in mileage is huge between
    city and country driving..

By right you should be getting on average approx 40mpg if you take it easy and
    stay around the 60mph mark and dont drive her too hard as in high revs etc..

The tank should be a 55 litre one including the reserves so what i would do is to
    get her serviced and fill the tank and see how you do..

Do a little test as in for the first full tank, drive it easy and stay within the speed limits at all time, no hard acceleration etc

Next time drive as normal and see what you get..

Ive managed to get from Dublin to Waterford on €6 worth or petrol, (was about 82c
    a litre at the time) and had at most about 3 litres in the tank... so it was just hitting
    empty when I got there and thats the guts of 90 miles..

Mine is still going strong at the moment and I have it 4 and a half year with nearly 125k miles on the clock.. so I cant complain..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Yeah that's not too bad for 25 euros.

CIty driving in Dublin is hell as you are mostly doing 15MPH and 1-2 gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greg11378

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies.
    The thing is I don't do a lot of 'city' driving. I drive around the city subuarbs, but not duiring rush hour. I wouldn't be stuck in traffic too often. On a long run for the same money I get about 200 / 210 for €25. I thought I'd be getting around 250 / 260 for this. Interesting to know that you think what i'm getting is alright though.

Anyone got a similar car, say peogeot 406 or even a Mondeo TD that could compare mileage?

Thanks a lot,
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its not really fair to compare with a diesel, as they do generally get much higher fuel economy, but since you asked ... :)
    99 peugeot 406 STDT ( 2.0 Hdi )
    900 miles from a 70 litre tank, ~ 65mpg.
    This is mainly country driving though, it would be more around the 55mpg mark if you included some driving around dublin.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's not fair but it's interesting! I think next time I'll forget the petrol option!
    Anyone have a Mondeo TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Not sure about Mondeos but €30 a week gets me enough diesel to do 500 miles of mixed city and country drive (about half and half) on 2lt HDI.

That's quite a lot. Is it a 406 you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Nope, I drive a Xsara HDI 2lt, same engine as 406 except for the HPs. Mine has 90HP and I think 406 and C5 have 110HP though they are bigger cars. I believe they have the smaller diesel engines (1.4s-1.5s?? not sure) now but I don't think they have good kick in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

370miles on a €40 tank (92c per litre)
    1.4 Focus, can get in around 400miles when not driving her hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

About 360 miles on a tank of 85 liters (77-80 used), so 20MPG on average

Dublin traffic or heavy foot: 15MPG,
    Country runs: 25 - 30MPG

That's with me '96 735iA V8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

97 1.6 Mondeo - 520 miles from 55 litre fill.

Advertisement