Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time phone line

Options
  • 01-04-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this topic has laready been posted elsewhere...

I recently moved into a new flat, and would like to get a broadband connection.

Unfortunately, I have to have a phone line before anyone can tell me if they offer this service in my area. I don't need a phone line - I make my calls in work or with my mobile when I need to.

When I rang Eircom they told me that I need to pay a €130 first-time connection fee, even if I cancel the account straight away (which I will be doing if they can't offer me broadband)

Is there any other company that can get me this first time connection for less? There are plenty of companies promising cheaper phone bills, but they only work if you switch over from an exisint Eircom line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As it currently stands, you can only get a phoneline from eircom. However, things are changing as regards who you pay directly for your phone line, and I'm not sure if eircom are being forced to offer wholesale line installation as well as rental. So you may want to wait a little while.

Give us a rough idea of where you live (e.g. Portobello, Dublin), some other people in the same area may PM you for your exact address - to let you know if your exchange is active. We can also tell you if other broadband services (wireless for example) are available.

:)

Advertisement