Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's the Story

Options
  • 01-04-2004 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

After failing University two years in a row I decided enough was enough, I had to do what I dreamed about doing since I was 16 years of age, go to Africa. I didn’t know what I was going to do there but I knew that in order to prevent myself from sliding further into an Abyss of depression I had to swallow my fear and go. After reading a Dervala Murphy story I was inspired to do something similar to her and cycle through Africa and get a real experience of the place. In 1997, aged 21, I first went to Africa. I Cycled 3000 miles through Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe for Charity raising €7000 approx. This helped send schoolbooks over to a secondary school there, aswell as providing funds for a Ugandan boy to spend some time in Wales. Along the way I worked in a secondary school, an orphanage, and participated in a workcamp where I met my future wife Nakawunde Annet. My experiences there were unreal. The cycle itself was amazing. From having to sleep out in the Serengeti for a night because I lost my pump and had a flat tyre to being stuck in a small village for days on end with vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration. The experience itself left me though with a love of the children for their warmth, constant cheeriness in such poverty and their beauty and curiosity. I was sad though in the fact that such love and innocence should have such a bleak future. I knew that I wanted to help these children in any small way that I could. So last year I set up the A-Z Childen's Charity.

Lots of bands have got together to help me raise money towards building a medical centre in a small area of Uganda. The money will also be going towards the cost of books, stationary, two meals a day and many other essentials for some of the children orphaned by A.I.D.S.

I would really appreciate your support this Saturday at The Voodoo Lounge. The tickets are available at Road Records and there are some BRILLIANT bands playing.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Who are these BRILLIANT bands? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Brian_Iredale

Hi Luce,

The bands playing are:

The LGB (Little Ghetto Boys) -ALTERNATIVE HIP-HOP
    Chuzzle - Alternative Rock
    New Colour Soul - Funk and Soul
    Derick Devine - Singer Songwriter Rock

Do you know any of these bands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Originally posted by Brian_Iredale
    Derick Devine - Singer Songwriter Rock
    Yep :) . I'll try my best to get along. I have half plans made for that night so if they fall through (likely) I'm there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Cool cool.
    Is it just Der or is it the whole shebang? :)
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Brian_Iredale

We don't know if it'll be the whole band yet. He was aiming to have everyone but we don't know yet. I'll have to call him again.

Thanks for your support!

• Advertisement

Tell him to get his ass into gear....;)
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I hope some people here went down to this. Good cause and fantastic bands, New Colour Soul are legends! Gotta love that funk!

I feckin' couldn't go, was really pissed that I missed it. :( :dunno: :mad:
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

a great night had by all methinks.

good luck to all climbing kilamanjaro.

Advertisement