Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Yeah Elliot scored a hat trick but it wasnt his U21 debut, he made that against Albania in Dalymount. He scored the hat trick away to Poland(not sure if it was poland but it was away).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Draupnir
    miller is better than Holland period

based on what??!!

holland has proved a lot, and if nothing else, his experience counts!

miller hadnt kicked a ball in 3 months before the UEFA cup game. kerr woulda been mad to start miller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Carr-Cunningham-Dunne-Finnan
    Kavanagh
    A. Reid
    Miller
    Duff
    Keane---Morrison

would be the team I would like to see playing for Ireland. Theres still problems with it though, the centre of our defence is still not nearly strong enough and Im starting to have doubts about just how capable Morrison is of suceeding at international level. So lets hope Elliot keeps fulfilling his potential. Also Holland is rubbish, Kavangh is getting on a bit we need someone young coming through in that anchor man position. O'Shea is an interesting option but has he ever really played there before in his life ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by Draupnir
    I always reckoned Kilbane would be a good left back cos he is very strong defensively.

I have been saying this ever since the world cup.
    During the WC everytime Quinn cmae on and duff was out out on the left Harte came off and Kilbane went left-back, and played very well (he had a great world cup alround, but he played best in tha posistion).
    Also I think him and Duff could overlap very well and he has the pace to track back and not get cought in attack as Harte has a temdence to do.
    But at the same time I do think Harte is a good player, I reckon people are being harsh on him, he has had a decaint season, not amazing, but not bad, avrage.
    He should definatly be on the squad, and I think he offers more than O'Shea to the team as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think our shortage of strikers is only temporary. There is an 18 year old playing for Celtic, Aidan McGeady, who looks a quality player. He was born in Scotland but both his parents are Irish and has played for Ireland at underage level. He as in the Celtic squad for Saturday's match with Hearts. He should get a chance in the team before the end of the season as Hartson and Maloney are out with long term injuries, Beattie isn't setting the world alight and the league is rapped up. Add to that the fact that Larsson will be leaving at the end of the season and Sutton and Hartson haven't got long to go so O'Neill has to be looking for replacements. McGeady should get a chance although I'm not sure if his position for the future will be up front, maybe behind the front two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Personally I think Harte comes in for quite a bit of unwarrented criticism. True he had a bad world cup and he is not the best defensive player in the world but when you weigh that up against the positives like set pieces and hsi distribution I believe he could hold down his place on merit. Kilbane has always done his best for Ireland but when duff is available he should be put where he plays best and thats on the left.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Kilbane has always done his best for Ireland but when duff is available he should be put where he plays best and thats on the left.
    Kilbane plays in the centre of the midfield for Everton so he and Duff can easily play together. I am still 50/50 about playing Kilbane, I'll have to see how everyone does in the friendlies, I'd like to see him at LB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Kilbane plays in the centre of the midfield for Everton so he and Duff can easily play together. I am still 50/50 about playing Kilbane, I'll have to see how everyone does in the friendlies, I'd like to see him at LB too.

I dont believe he is international material in that position. Hopefully some of the younger guys can make that position their own. Ireland desperately needs a quality defensive midfielder and thats not kilbane and there are a few good prospect for the attacking midfield role coming through who should be given their chance to prove themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He was born in Scotland but both his parents are Irish

No, his Dad' parents were Irish.
    Read the artical.

His Fathers name is John McGeady, his parents were from Donegal, not a bad right winger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

I was never the biggest fan of Kilbane, especially as he was keeping Duff out of the left side position (tho that wasn't his fault) - but I must say I've was delighted by his performances in the centre in the last two games. Tackling, tracking back, runs into the box, crossing, sticking the boot in when necessary (there was a reason why Nedved and Ronaldinho played badly). One of the best all round midfield performances in an Irish shirt since a certain Mr. Keane, IMHO. Far better than anything I've seen of Holland and Kinsella for Ireland. The question now is who to play beside him, I think.
    Also, very excited by Reid. Considering the standard of opposition he plays against week in, week out he didn't look out of place at all in the two games. Seems to have an intelligent footballing brain, able to pick out some clever through balls, quite skillful too.
    Can't say I've seen much of him for Forest this season (well, not at all as it happens) I was wondering if anyone else has, and on that basis, do they think he could cut it as a striker? Y'know, to play deep and link up the midfield and Robbie - that being one of our major problems. I've heard it suggested in the media that Reid would be well capable of it. Cos we could definitely do with another forward.

Originally posted by Seaneh
    No, his Dad' parents were Irish.
    Read the artical.

His Fathers name is John McGeady, his parents were from Donegal, not a bad right winger.
    It says on the FAI site that his parents are Irish but the article said he wants to play for Ireland because he has a better chance of playing in the world cup. I don't know where his parents are from but I'm sure he wouldn't turn his back on Scotland just to have a better chance of playing in the world cup. The Scots are probably just bitter.
    Originally posted by mwnger
    I was never the biggest fan of Kilbane, especially as he was keeping Duff out of the left side position (tho that wasn't his fault) - but I must say I've was delighted by his performances in the centre in the last two games. Tackling, tracking back, runs into the box, crossing, sticking the boot in when necessary (there was a reason why Nedved and Ronaldinho played badly). One of the best all round midfield performances in an Irish shirt since a certain Mr. Keane, IMHO. Far better than anything I've seen of Holland and Kinsella for Ireland. The question now is who to play beside him, I think.
    well said.

Advertisement