Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS questions????????

Options
  • 01-04-2004 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi all

Have found the information posted here very useful over the years and hope that the gurus based on this forum can help with this issue.

I have a Nokia 6310i and a Palm Tungsten T. Currently I can access my website and mail through a standard subscription with an ISP just by making a call. Now this costs me the price of the call plus whatever the ISP costs me. As I’m accessing the UTV free services this then only cost me the price of the call.

Now, I’m wondering if I should set-up a GPRS connection on the phone. My limited knowledge, not helped by the poor information the O2 site, tells me that the connect is fast and from what I can tell would mean I would not even have to dial the ISP to get a connect.

However, there are a number of issues worrying me and this is the purpose for posting to this forum. Is the value of the GPRS with O2 really worth the speed increase? I can’t really tell as the cost structure on the O2 site seems purposely misleading. Would I be better off staying with the dial-up connection through Bluetooth as I only check my mail when I’m on the road and that’s about once a week?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, you could try the GPRS connection for a period and see how you find it cost wise i.e. if it works out less/more expensive for your needs than your current dial-up method

the speed increase isn't huge, but it is faster than a regular data call on O2 - the main difference is in how GPRS is charged. rather than a per second charge, as with a dial-up connection, you get billed on the amount of data sent and received (no matter how long the connection is active).

the thing to keep in your mind is everything you receive/transmit during the connection (i.e amount of data packets used) is costing me money (outside of any monthly data allowance)

i find it perfect for email (particularly setting to receive headers or a portion of the email to filter out large mails/attachments), WAP, PDA (friendly) web surfing (text / low graphics e.g. the likes of PdaPortal.com), instant messaging and the like

if you are a Monthly Subscription (post-pay) customer you can select a few different GPRS ISP packages on O2. From a 'pay as you use' package, to several packages that you pay an extra subscription and include monthly data allowances (e.g. 5MB, 10Mb....) GPRS Price Plans are here

if you are a SpeakEasy (pre-pay) they offer a 'pay as you use' package for GPRS ISP

the best thing to do is call O2 Internet Support on 1740 and have a chat with them, they should be able to enable the GPRS ISP service for you (if not already done so) and talk you through setting up your Palm

if you get stuck post back and you'll get a hand...

BrianG

Advertisement