Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interleaving on Netsource Enterprise

• 01-04-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was wondering is there anyway I can get it turned off or lowerd? I rang up netsource *lack of*support line. I was told that eircom have it set to the lowist setting (although pinging boards give's me replys of 60ms+) and from what I have read on the Ireland offline busnisses products listing page, says that the interleaving is set to high. (I'm going with Ireland off line as I have no reason to douth them)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a ping of 60ms+ to boards wud defo mean interleaving turned on high, low wud be around 20ms-30ms and none wud be 10ms - 20ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

It is on high. Its the original eircom adsl product at a higher speed. Netsource is talking rubbish. The RADSL products have low interleaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

As has been said before, any business product which touches an Eircom controled exchange has interleaving set to high while Esat business has fastpath turned on (aka interleaving set to off). A ping of 60ms does indeed suggest interleaving set to full whack tho there are other reasons why your pin may be so high.

(i get 10ms to boards with fastpath)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yeah I thought it seamed a tad high alright. Is there any way I can get it lowered?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately there is no way to lower it, eircom refuse to knock off the high interleving no matter how much people beg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just about everyone is reselling Eircom DSL.

Thankfully, I'm on Esat, through an Esat exchange, so get a ping to boards of 10-16ms. I may be paying a little more for it, but it's worth it. Much better response.

yeah its worth it in a way but unfortunately we all should be getting those sorta pings with dsl here in ireland for our €30 - €45 a month packages, eircom should not have this interleving crap on its network at all. Interleving turned off hasnt stopped dsl progress anywhere else.

no but it only affects gamers and for people who dont game its actually a good thing.
    It does have a purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

And remote admin surely? VNC, SSH, etc.?

.cg

we are talking from 20ms to 60ms which wouldnt really affect those things too much. if ya could do it on ISDn with those pings (or a little lower) no reason why u cant do it with dsl. This isnt a sattelite ping fs.

Used vnc on my pc at home from work with eircom dsl and was fine (home pc was on isdn).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

And remote admin surely? VNC, SSH, etc.?
    I am pretty much constantly connected to the server in college over SSH. There is no notable difference in lag between connecting from home at ~30ms and from in collage at ~2ms. The interleaving will add probably at most 50ms. For a round trip that's an extra 0.1 seconds. Only gamers care about that much of a difference.

latency usually includes the return trip... :)

(ie it is a round trip)

Advertisement