Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland

• 01-04-2004 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I want to head to Holland for a few days during the summer with a few mates, preferably to Amsterdam or stay near Amsterdam so you would be able to travel in. I`m a student so my finances are limited. Does any one know of any good (cheap) hostels or campsites in or around Amsredam. Also any one know of any thing good or unusual to do their, I`d probaly check out museums etc while there. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Was in Amsterdam for a few days a few weeks ago.
    The hostels are clean, efficient - though they work out about 16-20 yo-yo's a night depending on whether you have a Youth Hostel Association card (buy one the first day in the hostel if you are planning to stay 3 or mare days, they're international).

I forget which train station is which, basically there is a train station at the aeroport (main?) and one in the centre of Amsterdam (central?), you buy a ticket from one to the other (about 20 minutes).

I stayed in...
    Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark, Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Zandpad 5,
    1054 GA,
    Amsterdam,
    Netherlands

Take Tram 1,2 or 5 from train station in the centre of Amsterdam. You'll get lost a few times but basically get off at the Bulldog Cafe (you can't miss it ,it's blue, red and white in a square of cafes with Burgerking to one corner) head down towards the river, cross it, take a left for 50M and then it's down a narrow road on you're right hand side).
    I reccomend this place as it's walking distance from EVERYWHERE (including the trains, cafes, museumes etc).

You can book a room online or ring them from the free phones in the tourist info section of the train station at the aeroport.

DON'T GOTO AMSTERDAM ALONE - IT IS REALLY SCARY* IF YOU'RE... SHALL WE SAY, 100%. Otherwise, or in company it's cool.

*There are so many ways to get killed by vehicles in Amsterdam.
    You have the busy pavement, a bike track, a tram track, a road, a busy pedestrian divide, a tram track, a bike track, a busy pavement - all of which you have to negotiate just to cross the road - try doing that in any kinda state and you're well fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

oh, and while i'm here...

...I've been told the sex museum on shrooms is a riot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

tribble has a good suggestion,
    stay near vondlepark, while it may seem a little out of the way, its only 5-10 minutes from everything..
    its much nicer than the very center and much more relaxed..
    you should take a look at some of the hostel forums..
    they usually give a fair idea of what places are not so nice and others which are good..

im not sure the centre of the city is someplace you want to go on shrooms:ninja::dunno:

and like he said. you will probably get hit by a few cyclists.. they tend to just ring their bells untill you move or get hit.they seem to have the right of way at all times.

Advertisement