Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is WRONG with Broadband in Ireland???????

• 01-04-2004 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of problems with slow download speeds and high pings from IOL, UTV and Irish Broadband lately. One of the excuses they are throwing at us is contention.

I am wondering if anyone has experience of using broadband packages similar to ours (i.e. 512K DSL) in other countries, the UK for example. Or do you know anyone using it in other countries? What kind of performance do they get? Is it only in Ireland that we have to put up with a broadband service worse than dial up at times? Can they get away with the excuse of the contention?

I am just in the process of switching to IOL from my current provider because of a very unreliable service, slow download, high pings and now I find out that both IOL and UTV are the same!! I am getting very disheartened at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eircoms dsl is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by tuxx
    eircoms dsl is very good

I'm fighting hard to stick to my principals at this stage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by tuxx
    eircoms dsl is very good

There is a very good reason for that... but I dont want to get into full rant mode right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You're switching to IOL because you've got bad ping and slow downloads?!!
    No no no no no, oh deary me no. :eek:
    Cancel if you can, the last thing you want is to be tied into a 12 month contract with these clowns.

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    I'm fighting hard to stick to my principals at this stage!!

well eircom get most the money even if you go with another provider so you might as well give in if you want good dsl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

picked this URL up today from the Guardian's IT section.

www.adslguide.org.uk

Should be of use for comparisons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tell the culprits what you think, click Here

M

Originally posted by alleepally
    picked this URL up today from the Guardian's IT section.

www.adslguide.org.uk

Should be of use for comparisons

good for people planning to move to the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you want full 512 speeds all the time, feel free to go with eircom, but do remember you're capped at 8gb's!

Whereas if you can stick with the not-so-speedy speeds of other providers, with larger caps, you'll still easily be able to reach your full cap quote each month.

Just remember, 512kbps download, running 24x7 can download over 120gigs in one month... why limit yourself to 8? I didn't :-p

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

Just remember, 512kbps download, running 24x7 can download over 120gigs in one month... why limit yourself to 8? I didn't :-p

neither do i even though my eircom stats page say i am :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

"good for people planning to move to the uk? "

tuxx, I posted that link as the original poster asked

"I am wondering if anyone has experience of using broadband packages similar to ours (i.e. 512K DSL) in other countries, the UK for example"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I used Freeserve when i was in my m8's house last October and it was very good, speed was 576bps (they give ya 10% extra speed for free tho is barely any different than 512k), pings were excellent and download rates were 58k/sec constant.

As for Ireland well as posted by Tuxx, Eircom DSL does give constant top notch performance for gamers, surfers, downloaders alike, its just a shame about the tight caps which some people ignore anyway. Im with Eircom and its exactly the same experience as using Freeserve UK. I believe Netsource has also sorted all their problems and its meant to be very good now also. Digiweb which has just launched is another one to look out for, it cud be really good or it could be crap, we'll just have to wait and see. Its a reall shame tho about IOL because they were very good untill a month ago but hopefully they'll have their act sorted soon, as for UTV who knows if they will ever sort their constant problems out as clicksilver has been bogged down with problems since its launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As much as everyone likes to slag off Eircom (I do too) I am happy to say I don’t and never have any problems with the broadband they provide, always fast and always on.
    Now just so you know I don’t work for €ircon I am gonna say how much of a rip off it is and don’t even get me started on line rental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom Broadband is the ONLY thing that they have done right, looks like they did their homework as far as broadband goes but for everything else they are worse than useless even the broadband call centre is good unlike their other support sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I went with Eircom because I figured there would be teething problems across the board and that's not a good time to be with a reseller where the reseller and Eircom will just blame each other and nothing will be done to solve the problem. But surprisingly it seems only Eircom and possibly Netsource can deliver a reliable service so I'm guessing the resellers have messed up all by themselves.

I wished the competition would get their act together and ideally it would be better if they installed their own ADSL equipment in the exchanges so we can get a better selection of services. I'm pretty sure Eircom have set the uplink speed artificially low to pretect leased line revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

another thumbs up for eircom dsl here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

aye and another one for me

can't fault it once its up and running i don't think i've had any problems with the service, iol can go screw themselves they didn't want my custom due to there crappy account policies

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

What put me off going with Eircom in Jan was the high support line costs.....with their new products that would not have been an issue...but then again a stable service = no support calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the cheaper home product still has the expensive number while the more expensive home product has the cheaper number now iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

agreed.....but a stable service = no support calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Another €ircom BB satisfied customer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have IOL BB a few days now, I’m on the Advantage Plus package, I have good pings usually around the 50's and my download speed is at a constant 55kB /sec
    So far I've no complaints except the useless customer care they have. They booked me in for an engineer install instead of a self install, which I had asked for.

About 13 days into my order I rang them to see if everything was ok and they said an engineer would be out to install my BB. I told them of their error and everything was sorted they would send out my modem & I'd have it the next day as my line had gone live.

3 days later I ring up to see where my modem was and I was told that there was no modem sent out, so again I was told a modem would be sent out and I've have it within two days. The next day an engineer rang asking when's a suitable time to come around to install the BB, I told him I'd ask for a self install and being in contact with customer care and he Apologised and said he would contact customer care again.
    The Modem did arrive the next day I just hope I’m not billed for an engineer installation!!

Update: I received a second IOL modem today didnt ring them yet to tell them....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

One thing that appears to be very wrong no matter which ISP you are with is the appalling phone support structure. 30 minute waits and stock replies seem to be the rule.

Something will really have to be done about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i dunno how many posts ive made about complaining about my iol connection but as much as id hate to say it i might have to switch to an eircom broadband account,
    im really pissed off with the constan dissconection and my really crappy download speed,
    its gotten worse since theyve upgraded me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Elo m8y

Have you got BB now then ?

If so whats it like in town as in speeds and reliabilty.

Just to let you know if you want to come down and help us test out the shop in a week or two your welcome.

The Phone line went in today and we are hoping to get a 2mb(Eircom) adsl package in soon :D.

BTW Eircoms moved down to the old army barracks also where the exchange is.Which means us being at the back of O'Connors on martyrs road should give us a damn good connection (copper permiting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

See that link that says "pm"? Try it some time.

I have no idea what Eircom ADSL support is like. I've never called them because the service has been up since the day I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

has anyone tried the new lower cost dsl's yet? if i go for one it's going to be the low cost eircom one, i think. maybe. not sure if i want to stump for the extra cash for the bigger cap. anyone have any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why is it that my phone line can fail the test while both my next door neighbours don't and Eircom aren't obligated to rectify that for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Why is it that my phone line can fail the test while both my next door neighbours don't and Eircom aren't obligated to rectify that for me?

They're not obliged to rectify something that isn't "broken"

Your phone line works as designed, you can make calls and recive them.

so in a way there's nothing to rectify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Could this fire in manchester have anything to do with the recent problems?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/36751.html

I resume IOL get their backhaul from BT....
    Anyone any ideas where UTV get theirs?

Advertisement