Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is WRONG with Broadband in Ireland???????

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by Muck
    I agree with Ripwaves analysis, the sudden alacrity with which Eircom is provisioning their retail customers is seemingly causing capacity problems on their wholesale customers networks. (ESAT and UTV) . Nor do I suspect that Eircom informed their wholesale customers that they would be speeding up their end of the provisioning .

I do wish at times that Ripwave would present these theories of his in a less confrontational way....especially when they are correct but require a bit of explaining of the wholesale market to fully understand the issues .

As the wholesale market is curently the subject of a Comreg review at the moment I think that one should tell Comreg about these things and not try to shoot the messenger :D . I will bump the Comreg Survey thread which has the necessary links. Don;t tell us what you think, tell Comreg .

M

Again all that is in this post is theories and suspicions not one hard fact. As I keep trying to point out baseless allegations against Eircom just cheapen the argument.
    If you accuse someone of everything you accuse them of nothing. A few well proven facts would be far better than the constant fog of Eircom are responsible for everything. It also takes the heat of the other ISP's when they are not living up to their part of the bargain. Again I point out that in this case Esat have accepted the blame and Utv have clearly stated that Esat are at fault why continue to blame Eircom in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dub45
    Again all that is in this post is theories and suspicions not one hard fact. As I keep trying to point out baseless allegations against Eircom just cheapen the argument.
    If you accuse someone of everything you accuse them of nothing. A few well proven facts would be far better than the constant fog of Eircom are responsible for everything. It also takes the heat of the other ISP's when they are not living up to their part of the bargain. Again I point out that in this case Esat have accepted the blame and Utv have clearly stated that Esat are at fault why continue to blame Eircom in this case?
    Which part of "ESAT admits it didn't order extra bandwidth in time" contradicts the scenario outlined above?

If believing that it's all a coincidence makes you happy, fine. Me, I don't believe in coincidences.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Which part of "ESAT admits it didn't order extra bandwidth in time" contradicts the scenario outlined above?

If believing that it's all a coincidence makes you happy, fine. Me, I don't believe in coincidences.

You dont seem to believe in producing any evidence either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yawn

Originally posted by tuxx
    yawn

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm using NTL in Belfast, a 1mb/256k line, and have used a friends eircom broadband in Letterkenny.

My line in Belfast is capless. It generally operates as full download capacity except between 7-9pm on monday to thursday when it can drop as low as 300k. I have 20:1 contention, and ping is superb (15-25 for UK servers pretty much all the time, 50 if downloading at the same time or conencting to the rest of europe) and it costs £35 p.m.

In comparison, the Eircom line has much higher ping than the NTL, higher contention and a longer evening slowdown period. Combined with the fact that much more rarely meets its quoted 512k download speed, I think I''d pick NTL thankyouverymuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

well back at home in the land of the far east for me, i had a 2mb line running to my room for a summer, and about 3 yrs ago i got a 6mb dsl line from sony for a few months during the summer. its just depressing when im back here for college for the other 9months of the year with no substantial bb connection that is cheap (btw i was paying ~30 to 40 punts for the 2mb line at the time and i got the 6mb line for about 60-70quid per month) but then again there are about 5 competing companies offering dsl, wireless and other forms of high speed connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Dub45 will you ever stop sticking up for Eircon, they've been doing Ireland over for years now, have a little listen to the zipped file, and no it's not a virus, scan it if you like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by paddy
    Dub45 will you ever stop sticking up for Eircon, they've been doing Ireland over for years now, have a little listen to the zipped file, and no it's not a virus, scan it if you like.

Wow paddy what a productive attachment you have
    sigh....
    :rolleyes:

Originally posted by paddy

If you read my posts you will see that I have never stuck up for Eircom - show me where I have? All I have done is to ask people who make sweeping allegations against them to produce evidence of those allegations. If you accuse someone of everything you accuse them of nothing.

Far better if we have evidence of stuff that Eircom do and send to to comreg or whatever. Simple as that. And wild allegations do nothing for the reputation of boards either if we expect the companies concerned to look at here and take note of the concerns that people express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Dub45, sorry for my last post, I got a fit of Eircon rage thinking about our highest line rental in Europe.

No problems at all - now that is a legitimate complaint:)

Advertisement