Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone having problems with email since iol probs started

• 01-04-2004 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

My outlook express is saying it cant find the pop 3 server since about monday night.
    At that time I was trying to re-establish connection with IOL and did a lot of rebootig of Pc's and modems etc thinking I was the only one with a problem,,

well web access is fine apart from being as slow as a snail but I cant get email to work

there seem to be only a few settings to worry about in outlook

incoming mail pop.iol.ie
    outgoing mail mail.iol.ie

then your username and password

But every time I try and connect I get the dreaded error message

The host 'pop.iol.ie' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'iol email', Server: 'pop.iol.ie', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

BTW I have zonealarm firewall plus zyxel PRestige modem and am running Xp on a Dell 4300 1.6G

I downloaded Pegasus mail as an alternative and it worked 1st time so it must be a problem with outlook....but what I can't tell

If I do a repair on my internet connection in Control panel it says it cant flush the arp cache. I dont know if that is significant.

any ideas appreciated??

d

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dwoodgate

there seem to be only a few settings to worry about in outlook

incoming mail pop.iol.ie

then your username and password

Correct except for one thing

incoming mail gpo.iol.ie

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Some Clicksilver customers have been complaining of mail problems as well. I think I saw a suggestion that you delete all outlook email accounts and then set them up again and that this worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dwoodgate

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that either gpo.iol.ie or pop.iol.ie will work and have tried both. I had this confimed by a techie in IOL.

d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Indeed they will as pop.iol.ie is an alias for gpo.iol.ie

$ host pop.iol.ie
    pop.iol.ie is an alias for gpo.iol.ie.
    gpo.iol.ie has address 193.120.142.19
    gpo.iol.ie has address 193.120.142.81

Advertisement