Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lil (cavie) needs a friend

• 01-04-2004 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Alas I am down to my final guinepig!, the other one was found dead a few weeks back and now my survivor needs a friend as guinepigs are colony animals and she is lonely. I dont want to get a young one, I would prefer to get an older one closer to Lils age about 4yrs I think. I can try pet shops but I would be worried that I would end up with a bred out female thats not going to live very long. Does any one have any tips for finding healthy ones except for the usual bright eyes shiny coat?. Or does any one know any HONEST breeders that I could get an older one from?.
    I`m in the Dublin area and I`m not prepared to give Lil up so I must find her a friend!. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

She will get on well with a young female. (Make sure you "really" know how to sex them, a young male would not be good, and petshops are notoriously bad at this. Some of Peter Gurney's books have good pictures!)

It's only males with males that is tricky, and here a very young one added is more likely to work than an older assertive one.

With two older female the Hierarchy is unclear so they can squabble at first. But with a young (just old enough for leaving Mummy / going to Petshop) female, both know who the top pig is from day1. This may change one day as the young pig matures, but not usually in a castastropic way.

We have 3 males in one run (!) that get on fine and 5 females of varying ages in another. Our oldest male had the "op" so he could stay with his female friends all the time instead of one "visiting" for a few months in his exclusive apartment.

Unfortuately he got sick recently and despite carefull nursing just got too worn out, though his original infection was responding. We miss him a lot.

We weigh them all once a week as weight loss is best sign of illness. They tend to try and hide fact of illness. The biggest problem we have had with any convelescent piggy is that if inactive they quickly get Podadermatitus which takes a Month of Anti-biotic and nearly 2 months or more to heal up.

Arn't they amazing how much they have to say and the personalities?

Sticking out bright shiny eyes (sunken is bad)

Good coat. But if it does have mange, this is very treatable.

Perhaps quarennteen for mange mites for a while

Runs away from you at pet shop! (In this respect of personality look for the opposite to a puppy.. then earn the friendship! Piggies are a bit more cautious /discerning than puppies!)

emmy.jpg

This piggy, "Emmy" lost over half her fur from mange-mite at late stage of pregnacy. The mite induced stress meant she had to have a caesarian, but she fully recovered and fur is like new. The Vet wishes he took a "before" and "after" shot as he was more amazed than us!

She is also famous for doing the Cavy "Song" twice, which is very like a blackbird singing. Most people don't know such a thing exists (the reason for it is unknown) as it is rare. Even fewer people have ever heard it. Initial reaction is that a bird has got in the run/house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I know about mites my guinepigs have had them before, They have a big run attached to their country house so theyre not inactive. Lil is a very dominant guinepig, she has no problem pushing people or being bossy, because of this there will be squabbling regardless of age. The reason why I want an older one is because when Lil dies the other one wont have very far to go , I dont want to have to keep going out to get a new one.
    I used to breed them so I know how to sex them our male died after he lost his manhood. Your one emmy is cute I`m tempted to get another rosetta like the last one I had,Scruff.

Obviously you are nearly immune to Guinea Pig "mind control" if you are not planning to keep them for ever.

Google on Guinea pig conspiracy...

Immune I am for now while the guinepig and cat mind control battle it out!. Only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I have two female guinea pigs that will be looking for a new home soon. They were rescued from a pet shop in Dublin, treated by Tipperary Small Animal Rescue & fostered by me.

They had mange & overgrown claws etc but are certified clear by a vet now & almost all their fur has grown back. They're roughly 2- 3ish & very sweet. Not quite friendly yet, but getting there!

Piggys_with_Uke_Watching.jpg

Thats fantaftic hadook! where are you located?, Im in Dublin perhaps we can arrange something. If theyre not the most friendliest that doesn`t matter as one of our former ones used to be very antisocial but that changed over time after careful attention and handling.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Hey,

Pm'd you my number. If you're still interested in them give me a call. I'm in Maynooth, but can drop them out to you.

Advertisement