Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which graphics card for games?

• 02-04-2004 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I am going to build a SFF system fairly soon. I have most of the spec decided
    AMD 2500 (possibly o/c), 512 3200 RAM, etc.

Now the case/mobo (Biostar 200N) has onboard Geforce4 MX.

Will that do for games? I will be working off a 17" LCD monitor so will want to play at 1280 X 1024, or possibly as 640*480 and let the pixels double up (does that work?)

Basically I want to be able to play the likes of Far Cry, Deus Ex, Unreal 2004 etc at
    a playable speed. I don't need super duper frame rates.

My choices are
    onboard (Geforce4 MX) -
    basic (5200/9200) - another 60 euro odd
    good (9600XT) - another 180 euro
    very good (9800pro) - another 200+ euro.

How high do I need to go for reasonable gaming performance? And any brands to avoid? Sapphire seem cheap but are they any good?
    Is the 9200 significantly better than the Geforce4MX?

This might be a 'how long is a piece of string' question
    I tried looking at benchmarks but they're all just numbers - like to get some real peoples opinions!

I want to get a card with dual outputs (at least one DVI) so I can hook up dual monitors. I also want one thats not too hot/noisy bearing in mind that its to go into a SFF case and be used for playing videos/music.

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i recommend going with the 9800pro thats on offer on the other thread i think you posted on

the gf4mx won't could it on any of those games you mention especially at those resolutions, i doubt it could do much at low resolutions either, a gf4mx is not much different from a gf2mx.

sapphire are a very high quality ati reseller don't be put off by the price, the card will have dual outputs one of which will be dvi for your nice fancy monitor :)

go with the 9800 you won't regret it, its on special for about 200 (i got mine about 6months ago for 320 and i was still getting a bargain then) and it will last for a good bit still i think and it will fit into your sff alright.

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

oops meant to post that in 'Technology'

thanks for the info Dataisgod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, i've got the same specs as you (2500+ @ 3200+, 512mb pc3200) and i went with a radeon 9600.
    i wish i'd waited a month or so until i could afford a 9800 pro.
    frame rates rarely drop below 30 in most games, its only a matter of time before i have to start running them at 800x600, and then 640x480:(
    while the 9600xt is far superior to mine, i'd go for a 9800 pro if i were you. only a few quid more & it'll last a hell of a lot longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's my understanding that any GeForce with an "MX" in it is poop

I've gotta take issue with that statement.
    I have an MX460 and as I have said before it is a fine card.
    I run the latest games ,and boy do I have alot of games,about 200 at last count at either 1024*768 or 1280*1024.
    The frame rate is good and I enjoy the quality of the games.
    It wont play some of the new games due to pixel shading.
    I am beginning to think that the whole graphics card market is a ruse to make people fork out large amounts of cash on cards with alot of unneeded and redundant features.
    I picked up a copy of PCW last week in which they reviewed a new PC.
    It had a 9800 Pro card in it and they commented that it was a 'competent workhorse' .
    Hardly flattering.
    Have I missed something but is that not ATI's second most powerful card ?
    I wish people would be honest.

:)

just bought the 9800pro - now all i have to do is buy everything else and build it up.

I'm still slightly concerned about heat/noise but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it. If it's too bad maybe i can set up dual boot (one using onboard graphics for playing dvd's, one using the 9800 for games) but thats another days work!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

Where did you buy the GFX card i might do it too

overclockers.co.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

DAME you!!! i did it too:D

Advertisement