Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows NT Logon script

Options
  • 02-04-2004 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Folks ,

A user here wants to rollout a file to 40 workstations (all win2k) with a NT 4 domain controller , the file is to be places in winnt\system32

so here is what I have done , please tell me where I am going wrong.

1) On the domain controller I have created an admin user account called rollout

2) In the netlogon share I have placed the file for rollout and the following batch file

copy %logonserver%\netlogon\filename c:\winnt\system32

3) then in user manager I have added rollout.bat as the logon script for the user rollout.

but nothing happens , I have replicated the file to the BDC netlogon dir and still nothing , how do I get this file to rollout ???

i'll be checking this thread regurlarly as I test , any ideas appreciated

especially how can I verify that the script is being run ,
    was thinking of doing a net use s: %logonserver% to see if it was running the script.

thanks

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Logon batch files are in:

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Repl\Import\Scripts

Create a rollout.bat file here, and in user manger, use rollout.bat as the "Logon script Name", under "Profiles".

One line of rollout.bat should be:

copy \\SERVERNAME\NETLOGON\file.xxx c:\winnt\system32

Make sure file.xxx is in C:\NETLOGON on your server.

I assume you just want file.xxx copied to this folder, and not executed.....

You're 90% there, I reckon that you just need rollout.bat in the right place. You can put it anywhere, as long as you type in the whole path, but sticking it in the above folder is easier, and less prone to screw up.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

thanks a million Jaden ,

I'll give that a try .

cheers
    Fionn

Ok I have placed the files in the correct location , but it does not seem to work .

so I then mapped a drive from the workstation to the PDC and ran the batch file from there ,

It attempts to run the script but then it gives an access denied error.

also My user 'rollout' is a domain admin !!

any further suggestions ??

If the user is a domain admin surely they can copy a file from one server to the local machines, or is there a user policy setting i need to enable ??

thanks

Fionn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can do a push copy too
    If you are using TCPIP then you don't need names.

xcopy FILENAME \\192.168.0.2\Admin$\system32\*.* /d /c

On a domain C:\windows or c:\winnt is a hidden share called Admin$

you could make a batch file with 253 lines and push the file that way using all possible IP addresses

Don't forget you MUST NOT change directory in a login script if it CALLS another batch file.
    CD truncates the batch file !!

If you wanted to execute the file - check out PSTOOLS

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

First things first check out http://www.experts-exchange.com

Its a brillant site, with the help of the useres there I setup a domain/dns/dhcp server from scratch with no prior expierence, give the following a bash and see if it works:

1. Create a logon script, Logon.bat, and place it in the
    NETLOGON share on the domain controller.

2. Creat a test user on the domain controller

3. In the user profile settings, Just input the name of
    the script, logon.bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Sorry posted before finishing....

First things first check out http://www.experts-exchange.com

Its a brillant site, with the help of the user's there I setup a domain/dns/dhcp server from scratch with no prior expierence, give the following a bash and see if it works:

1. Create a logon script, Logon.bat, and place it in the
    NETLOGON share on the domain controller.

2. Creat a test user on the domain controller

3. In the user profile settings, Just input the name of
    the script, logon.bat.

4. Logon to the domain through the client PC using
    the domain username/password

You shouls see your script running

Cheers again for the help all ,

it seems the chappie in the remote location was actually trying to preform the rollouts to XP machines ,

So all my script needed was a quick change from c:\winnt to c:\windows

So it was all working fine from the start , heh , typical ,

thanks again ,

Fionn

Advertisement