Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paintshop pro V Photoshop

Options
  • 02-04-2004 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I've been using psp for ages and i think its very good. What is photoshop like and is it better than psp or can psp do the same things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilengineericus

Hmmm... This question has been long debated in the world of the web for quite some time.

IMHO, I prefer photoshop, not necessarily(sp?) because it's a better program, but becasue of thetype of work I do. I work as a graphic designer, and photoshop unfortunately is industry standard, and has the best layers blending and effects of any other program. Other firms will argue that the COrel suite is starting to make a dent in the web, but it will take a while before people start using it by default over Adobe.

On the other hand, PSP has quite a few built in beels and whistles that PS does not. Tubes, effects, frames, plug-ins galore, you name it. If you are a user who likes to create using these features, you may find photoshop not very creatively or artisitically helpful. Photoshops strength lies it it's rasterization, masking and layer blending options, which no other program has really duplicated yet.

So, I guess the answer would be what kind of a user are you and what needs do you need to fill? if you want to find a job in the industry, you should absolutely learn PS, as 95% of the industry will look for strong PS skills. However, if you are just an artist who likes to create from scratch, or are working within a budget, PSP will be more helpful for the types of things you may want to create.

Search around other boards on the net, there are endless PSP v PS debates raging through the years, just waiting for a winner, but interestingly enough, the net community stands fairly divided, no clear victor has been named yet.

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Id prefare Macromedia Fireworks to PSP, but i think it all depends on the type of work you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

PhotoShop CS & Fireworks are my weapons of choice,

But it really does depend on the type of work you do.

Thanks joePC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PSP man meself, but it's really just because I'm comfortable with the interface. In the old days PSP was for people that didn't need (or couldn't handle) the more complex stuff like vectored images. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot between them at this stage though. Even The Gimp compares pretty favourably with Photoshop these days it seems.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by DMT
    I use PSP for moist things, but when something calls for a bit of power, like colorizing a black and white picture, I use Photoshop 7 because its more versatile for the difficult stuff...
    And difficult for the versatile stuff... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement