Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricky few days ahead for Arsenal

• 02-04-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Just read that Arsenal have four big games in eight days. It's going to be tough holding on to that 100% record with a fixture list like that. Wenger has already complained:
    Arsene Wenger has hit out at the Premier League for the impending fixture chaos that he feels could hamper Arsenal's chances of glory this term.
    The Gunners are riding high in The Premiership and are also challenging for honours in the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup, but Wenger has been forced to speak out after learning his side must play four key games in eight days.

Arsenal lock horns with bitter rivals Manchester United in the FA Cup on Saturday before tackling Chelsea in the Champions League next Tuesday.

Whatever the outcome of those two knockout events, Wenger must raise his side's spirits for Premiership encounters on Good Friday and Easter Sunday against Liverpool and Newcastle respectively.

Wenger is without a number of key players and four games in eight days is sure to stretch his resources to the limit.

"We have tried to have the programme changed," said Wenger. "But the League said: 'that's it'.

"Originally we were due to play Liverpool on the Saturday and Newcastle on the Monday. That was bad enough but this is worse.

"The matches against United and Chelsea could go into extra time. Then we play Friday and Sunday - four huge matches in eight days.

"It is unbelievable and disrespectful."

Wenger feels a siege mentality is growing within the corridors of Highbury.

The French tactician added: "All it has served to do now is make me and the players even more determined to win every game.

"We have fought hard to be in the position we are in the league and we are not going to let it go now."

Link: http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1130055,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He's right it is a very tough schedule. However if you are challenging for honours at this stage of the season then it is to be expected, Arsenal have a small squad and really should loosen the purse strings a bit and get some more backup for these kinds of situations.

If the English FA want to see Arsenal go further or even win the Champions League, which would be good for them as well as Arsenal, they should consider spacing the fixtures out a little further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Thats the price of success really. The fact that we drew United in the FA Cup and Chelsea in the Champions League was pure chance, so its not the fault of the Premier League. I don't see that he has any right to complain really - you pays yer money, you takes yer chances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The bare faced cheek of Wenger complaining about this. When he came into English football, he accused Alex Ferguson of being "unreasonable" for complaining about a fixture backlog.

If Arsenal come through this and win the treble I'll hold my hands up and call them a great team, but not until then.

Winning trebles is not easy, that's why they are so rare. The cheek of him asking for it to be made easier for his team.

The cost of success is playing a lot of games. Would he rather he didn't have to play in these games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I agree with you there Seansouth. The next nine days will determine whether Arsenal have a good season or a great season. Winning the premiership is almost assured already, if that is all they come away with at the end of May their success will be by no means exceptional. On the other hand if they progress to the final of the FA Cup, the semi of the Champions League and retain their unbeaten run in the Premiership, then they are on their way to something memorable.

My own prediction would be:

FA Cup - Knocked out by MU
    Champions League - Beat Chelsea and progress
    Newcastle & Liverpool - One win, one draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Personally I think they are one of the great teams already, hopefully we'll get the results until the end of the season and add to Wenger's two doubles.
    I agree the fixture congestion was bound to happen but the FA moved both the Liverpool and Newcastle games forward, I mean fs they don't seem to have a clue, always making stupud decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I gotta admin that its funny to see im complain about this after all the stick he gave AF for complaining about this. As people have said, a lot of games are the price of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Originally posted by Genghis
    I agree with you there Seansouth. The next nine days will determine whether Arsenal have a good season or a great season. Winning the premiership is almost assured already, if that is all they come away with at the end of May their success will be by no means exceptional. On the other hand if they progress to the final of the FA Cup, the semi of the Champions League and retain their unbeaten run in the Premiership, then they are on their way to something memorable.

My own prediction would be:

FA Cup - Knocked out by MU
    Champions League - Beat Chelsea and progress
    Newcastle & Liverpool - One win, one draw.

Lets hope they beat Newcastle & draw against Liverpool. They are lucky that they have CL & Liverpool game both at Highbury. If the CL league was away to Europe it would have been more difficult for them. I think the FA took that into consideration. I think Newcastle could gt a win though and Pool a draw. MU will probably knock them out but if both Fa cup & CL games go to extra time, it will make it even harder for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I agree with the above, he has some cheek complaining. Might I add that I ****ing hate Arsenal and everyone associated with them.

At least when Ian Wright was there you couldnt help but like them a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I heard that Wenger said he might rest Henry for the FA cup match.

I agree with the above, he has some cheek complaining. Might I add that I ****ing hate Arsenal and everyone associated with them.

Jealous? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In '99 ( United's treble year ) United dropped some players for the first semi.

If Arsenal can do the same, and get the same result, even from a replay, then they are on the way to becoming a great team.

But, hang on a minute...aren't people always saying that United aren't a great team because they only won the European Cup once under Ferguson?

By that same argument, how can Arsenal be considered a great team if they win the treble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Arsenal have the opportunity this season to prove they are a great team by replicating Uniteds 1999 feat, Until they do that they are a good team that has won the odd League titleand Fa Cups, They have never built on that success and to date have never retained the premiership. IMO They have a lot of winning to do over the next decade to earn ther Great team tag like the Truly great Liverpool/United teams and They can start by winning the treble this Year..

Hey elbow, course Im a bit jealous but not much, I just dont like the players, I just feel a lack of personality from the team.

At least the United team that dominated in the nineties had Cantona, Keane, Hughes all people you could like as people. All the Arsenal players right now seem either like robots or scumbags (Ashley Cole, Keown). However, they are a super side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I reckon, they'll give it all against Man U and Chelsea. Probably beat them both.
    Liverpool is hardly a BIG challenge for them, so I reckon they could beat them or a least draw with them playing a weakened side..... God Liverpool better not beat them... I can imagine it now, Arsenal, after playing back to back cup matches is forced to play a weak side which Liverpool beat. Houlier won't let it drop. He'll go on about how great we are again for ending Arsenals run. Then the board will give him a new contract... Aghhhhhhhh!!

Anyway, I digress, Newcastle could be a tough one for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Muppet
    . IMO They have a lot of winning to do over the next decade to earn ther Great team tag like the Truly great []/United teams and They can start by winning the treble this Year..

IMO You need to have done something oustanding like win the European cup twice in a row to be deemed a "great" team.

Any club that hasn't done that is just a wannabie in the list of european greats! ;)

Incidently, they changed the fixture listing to accomodate the Toon UEFA cup run, so Wenger has a right to be a little pissed. It would have been fairer to change the game to the last weeks of the season.

That said, its a squad game nowadays, so if Arsenal don't have the man power they only have themselves to blame.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Make or break week; Arsenal could see the treble come ever closer, or they could find themselves out of the cup & CL, and in a major premiership dogfight with Chelsea.
    At least the United team that dominated in the nineties had Cantona, Keane, Hughes all people you could like as people. All the Arsenal players right now seem either like robots or scumbags (Ashley Cole, Keown).
    lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

if you want to win great things you have to play the matches!!! when united wanted to re arrange matches wenger gave out about this now he wants to change dates for matches:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Hey elbow, course Im a bit jealous but not much, I just dont like the players, I just feel a lack of personality from the team.

At least the United team that dominated in the nineties had Cantona, Keane, Hughes all people you could like as people. All the Arsenal players right now seem either like robots or scumbags (Ashley Cole, Keown). However, they are a super side.

LOL I was having a bad day in office and your post actually made me laugh.

Cantona, Keane and Hughes people you could like !!! hahahahahahahahaha, Hughes maybe but the other two. Kung Fu Eric and Mr. Angry Roy. Oh god that was a good one. Keep them coming !!!!

Gandalf :)

Ah come on, you had to love Cantona for the cardigans and the seagulls and as for Keano, well hes just so good and also I have a lot of respect for him having read his book. I just dont get that feeling from the current Arsenal side. So Keane stood on Gareth Southgate and was a bit of a dirtbag when he wanted to be, at least he was a damn fine player, Ashley Cole is just a little moany scumbag who isnt very good and Keown is a big ape who cant really kick snow off a rope.

If there was more personality to players like Henry and Vieira then Id be much more inclined to like Arsenal. I just dont seem to be able to take to them, as good as they are.

• Advertisement

So you like Keane because he is a good player, yet you don't like the Arsenal players? hmm... :rolleyes:

I like Keane because he is a good player with a brilliant attitude and he leads by example. Also because he is Irish.

So now he has a brilliant attitude? I thought he was a dirtbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The reason they changed the schedule to suit Newcastle is because they already made the Toon play a few games in a very short space of time . (it would be unfair for the Fa to do it again )

No need to be a smart arse Kaids, we can all just read back through peoples posts and rip the piss out of them, Keane learned from his mistakes which is another reason to like him.

I really dont appreciate your childish attitude.

No need to be a smart arse Kaids, we can all just read back through peoples posts and rip the piss out of them, Keane learned from his mistakes which is another reason to like him.

LOL

I'm ripping the piss out of your posts? No, i'm pointing out the glaring contradictions in your posts.

If you don't appreciate it, maybe you should head over to redissue or a similar site whose users will accept your irrational red-tinted posts with open arms.

Didnt I say Arsenal are a good team, in fact the best team in England this season, I just said I think the players are a bit dull. Id like to see more personality from them but under Arsene Wenger I cant see that happening as he has no personality.

By the way, did I say Im a United fan? Plus, Red Issue is for scumbag muppets. I have no interest in being a part of that joke.

Didnt I say Arsenal are a good team, in fact the best team in England this season, I just said I think the players are a bit dull. Id like to see more personality from them but under Arsene Wenger I cant see that happening as he has no personality.
    No, what you said was:
    Might I add that I ****ing hate Arsenal and everyone associated with them.
    Oh, am I ripping the piss out of your posts now?
    By the way, did I say Im a United fan?
    Irrational love for Man Utd and irrational hate for Arsenal usually suggests that.

Originally posted by syke
    IMO You need to have done something oustanding like win the European cup twice in a row to be deemed a "great" team.

Any club that hasn't done that is just a wannabie in the list of european greats! ;)

Sorry I "FORGOT " to list your beloved NOTTS FOREST;)team of the late 70s in my list of Greats, they too were a great team , how they never did the treble is puzzling , they'll hardly achieve it near future.:)

• Advertisement

yeah, ah forget it, youre obviously an Arsenal fan

oh and all the slagging of Ashley Cole is bullsh*t, he's a class left back who both defends well and links brilliantly with Pires on the left side. He's just one of those players that every team has who is a bit mouthy - which you seem to have confused with being a bad player.

I personally think Clichy is a far better player for Arsenal and Bridge is much better for England.

Keane learned from his mistakes which is another reason to like him.

Yeah he really learnt from his mistakes in tha CL game against Porto by standing on the keeper and getting sent off :rolleyes: and in doing so weakening his team when they needed him!!

The only childish attitude I see here is yours, with your"Arsenal players are boring" rant.

Gandalf.

Lot of Arsenal fans around then? There were never this many when I was a kid, back then all the fairweather supporters went with Liverpool. Its amazing what a few titles does for a club, supporter wise.

LOL what don't like when people challange your views eh. As for fairweather I've been supporting Arsenal for 23 years :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Some of us also remember the bad old days of the mid-ninties - losing to Wrexham in the 3rd round of the F.A. Cup, finishing behind Southampton in the league, and George Graham being accused of dodgy deals off the pitch.

Yes, we had plenty of character back then - but it was all in bars around London and coming into training still pissed. Yeah - a lot of good that "character" did us.

We're bound to be hated by other fans. And you know why? Because we're the best. People love to see the underdog doing well, and we've reached the stage where the fans of other teams are just dying to knock us off our perch. This is a good thing - its what keeps the league competitive, but if we're going to continue being successful, we'd better get used to it.

I never said Arsenal werent the best, they are, I said they are hard to relate to. Sorry I got a bit pissed off with Kaids. I think the current winning patch is great for Arsenal fans like you Gandalf, sad thing is you are few and far between outside London.

At least now us United fans are startin to lose our "fairweather" section.

Well Arsenal aren't the best until they win something this season. I'm keeping my mouth shut cause last year still looms large in my mind. It was so painful.

I'll be watching the match tomorrow but I won't enjoy a minute of it till its over if we get the right result.

Yeah its amazing I could have sworn that I have have seen the same "fairweathers" wearing Leeds Jerseys, Blackburn, and Man U ones as well over the years. Won't be surprised if I see them in Arsenal ones soon as well :rolleyes:

Anyway this season will still take alot to beat my best moment ever as an Arsenal fan which was beating Liverpool in Anfield in 1989 to clinch the league and ringing my best mate a rabid pool fan and singing 2-0 down the phone to him. He got me back a few years ago when they beat us in the FA Cup final when that little troll Owen scored!!!

Gandalf.

At least now us United fans are startin to lose our "fairweather" section.
    Well I'll be...!

Anyway, can't wait for tommorrows game. Personally I'll be cheering on the personality-less Kolo Toure to do well, a Highbury hero in the making!

Supporting them for 11 years, get over to Highbury when I can actually get tickets...so no fairweather fan here either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

beating Liverpool in Anfield in 1989 to clinch the league
    :) not going into how that moment changed my life but anyway

bring on 2morrow big day for all concerned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lot of Arsenal fans around then? There were never this many when I was a kid, back then all the fairweather supporters went with Liverpool. Its amazing what a few titles does for a club, supporter wise.

Lol, come on, Im waiting for you to tell us your story of how you were baptised into the man united family at birth because your father and his father etc etc.....YAWN!

No club has benefited more greatly because of this situation than United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

It is a tough run of games, and he's entitled to whinge about it, but Im sure he knows they're not any more victimised than any other successful team has been with the fixture congestion, it comes with the territory. The main purpose of the outburst is likely to keep the players pumped with the siege mentality. I'm surprised the FA apologised though, thats a first.

It'd make for a great run-in if they did hit a bad patch now, and Chelsea pulled level.
    But they should be able for it.

Originally posted by SanFranMan
    I'm surprised the FA apologised though, thats a first.

It's not at all surprising considering The Fa Vice charman soon to be Chairman is David Dein The Arsenal chairman.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    And he did afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

& cost him the match too ... I think it was the right decision what with Arsenal v Chelsea next week!!

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    & cost him the match too ... I think it was the right decision what with Arsenal v Chelsea next week!!
    I don't understand how players can't play 2 matches a week. When I was fit and playing Sunday football I would easily be able to play a 90 minute match every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I don't understand how players can't play 2 matches a week. When I was fit and playing Sunday football I would easily be able to play a 90 minute match every day.

Even so, I doubt you would be playing against people as fit or more so than yourself every match ... plus I'm sure the pressure of it knocks the hell out of them too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

You could play a match everyday but could you do trainning 5 days a week n a have two or three matches in a week, I know I'd be wrecked and I might be able to do it for a a few weeks but eventually id break down and need a rest.

The only thing I can say in favour of Arsenal and their run of fixtures was that for the C-L match they didnt have to travel because that would have taken a lot out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n

?? Henry on the bench cost the match???
    Henry had his chance and was crap??!?
    Wenger's mistake might have been taking Pires off, not playing Reyes from the start, bothering at all with Aliadiere, but the bench was the right place for Henry on Sat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement