Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband 101

• 02-04-2004 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Have just received email from UTV that ADSL modem should be delivered today. Presuming installing the modem is a pirce of cake, what else should I do.
    I'm running XP Home. No SPs yet. Have an old P3 with RH 9 I think (it's an old noisy yoke) and was thinking of installing Mandrake 10 on it (have RC1). Have to update my virus scanner software. Have a freebie firewall running on PC; forgottent the product name for the mo. Probably should also get latest MS service packs?

Anythink else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Get all the latest service packs, get a good anti-virus, and a good firewall (either software or hardware).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If you're running an unpatched copy of XP, make sure your firewall is running. You'll be infected with blaster within a couple of minutes otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by a_ominous
    Have just received email from UTV that ADSL modem should be delivered today. Presuming installing the modem is a pirce of cake, what else should I do.

Anythink else?

Buy some valium, learn yoga and take any how to handle stress coures you can find.
    Only then will you be prepeared for Broadband Ireland today!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe it's just me, but my experience of broadband has been very good. I have ESAT residential broadband (not the IOL Broadband (re-selling of Eircom)). I've had two outages (one scheduled exchange upgrade, and one system failure in Esat).

I can't complain about the service nor the product (only about the customer care side).

Advertisement