Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sources of finance for large companies

Options
  • 02-04-2004 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

im just doing a small paper, for one section i need to talk about sources of finance, and i have googled it and googled it and all i can find is sof for small companies.

if someone in the know could just list the sof' for large companies things like the European Investment Bank i would be greatful.

im not an accounting studnet nor do i study accounting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I don't know much about it, but here are some things you could check out:

Apart from loans, one obvious source for public companies would be equity - a company can dilute the existing shareholders by issuing more stock to the market, with the capital raised being (issued equity * issue price).

A large company can also issue debt - a note that promises some rate of return (and sometimes the option to convert to stock at a given price)

The GEs of the world issue bonds (as I understand it, not quite the same as debt?) to raise capital.

Large companies with good cash flow can finance stuff out of cash flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thetis

As far as I can remember the main sources for large companies are:
    equity - both ordinary and preferential shares;
    bonds and debentures;
    loans - both long and short term; and
    partnership finance - where two companies in different (or related but non-competing) fields form a strategic alliance and one can use the other for short term finance (uncommon).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sale and lease-back and other equity release measures.

Invoice discounting.

Bonds can be secured (agaisnt a specific asset) or unsecured.

Eh, cashflow? That is using favourable credit terms. Shops sell bread today but may not pay the baker for several weeks. A Dunnes Stores favourite.

Leasing instead of buying - many office based industries do this.

Advertisement