Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invert Mouse?

Options
  • 02-04-2004 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Just wondering what aiming system most people use. Personally I can't play with invert mouse on, it messes with my head! But I know a fair amount of people who are the exact opposite. So I might as well get some statistics!

Invert mouse on/off? 56 votes

Invert mouse on
    0% 0 votes
    Invert mouse off
    53% 30 votes
    What're you talking about?
    46% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

invert off all the way. there's no other two ways about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

this was done here a while back. don't know how anyone uses the mouse inverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Invert mouse is Evil,except in flight sims.

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

I can't play without invert on.
    Doesn't seem right to me.
    If i'm looking out of a characters eyes then
    it seems natural to me that pull back and you tip the head up and push forward and you tip it down.
    Just can't get used to it any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think it's just what you're naturally used to. I can barely move with invert mouse on because I'm so used to playing with normal mouse configuration.

Possibly, there is one slight advantage to having the mouse inverted. In an FPS when you're using a weapon with splash damage (RL or similar) then aiming down is obviously an advantage inverting the mouse may keep your aim down low more naturally but it's a tenuous claim to say the least (and nothing that practice can't do better). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

What's strange is that when I used to play Q1 I always played with invert mouse on, but then I tried to play some other game and invert mouse really really didn't work well with it so I had to change.

Now I play with it off, in quake and prettymuch everything else.

Goddamn, I can't remember what the game that forced me to switch over was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I always play with invert mouse... it just feels more, er... right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

even though i like invert on i have seen one or two games (can't remember which) that had no invert option and i just can't play them at all.
    So if you're just starting, learn with invert off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

This was done before by me, as pointed out by someone else. I still dont understand how people can find it more natural to be non-inverted. Seriously if you take the top of your head, you move it backwards to look up and forwards to look down. Why would you do different with a mouse? I high recommend to all you non-inverts to try it for 4 or 5 hours on a game you know well and you'll soon see you are aiming better than ever.

Dave - inverted with mouse in left hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I always play with invert mouse.
    Up is down and down is up. Gotta love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I move the mouse to were I want to shoot. Invert is wierd!

MY HEAD IS NOT A MOUSE.

Think about it, when I want to look at something, I move my eyes up and left to look up to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

I use invertmouse.
    I think of the mouse as being on top of a ball. If i push the mouse forward, then the ball dips downward etc. Apparently it's all to do with interpreting the the screen as 2d or 3d.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Invert-Mouse all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Invert mouse only, only freaks use normal mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

inverted is the only way to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I only put inverted on when playing games on the xbox (1st person/3rd person shooter). It's just so awkward moving forward while looking up to shoot.

Halo worked brilliantly on the xbox with inverted view on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Inverted is for perverts.

PUSH MOUSE UP TO LOOK UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ah... this old chestnut.

All you non-inverters are freaks and savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by amp
    PUSH MOUSE UP TO LOOK UP!
    You can't push a mouse up, you push it forward. Moving your head forward makes you look down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I take it you've never said the phrase "I'm going up to [insert somewhere north here]"

• Advertisement

No moving your head forward makes you strain you neck, looking down, makes your head go down. LIKE IN THE GAME!

think of the mouse as your head. you tilt your head forward to look down and tilt back to look up... same with inverted mouse.

makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by amp
    I take it you've never said the phrase "I'm going up to [insert somewhere north here]"
    It wasn't a grammar criticism, just pointing out where the inverties and non-inverties differ. If you consider the mouse as being moved forward and back then inverted makes sense. If you think of the mouse as moving up and down then it doesn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually play with invert mouse on. However it only takes me about 2 hours of playing a game non-inverted until I'm used to it. However it feels weird playing inverted for a while afterwards. Praetorian is a freak and can play happily in inverted and non-inverted.

Inverted is more natural and makes more sense to your mind. It also helps when you play a flight sim game cos you aren't confused.

i just cant get used to normal. The very first fps i played was at a friends house and he used inverted... so it stuck.

dunno how some people can change so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

my first mouselook fps was jedi knight in 3rd person inverted makes sense and i just continued from there. Played a lot of filght/space sims aswel. Freespace 2 ahh!

I can easily play inverted in flight sims and console FPS's though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I play inverted-on in flight and space sims such as il2 or freespace but invert off all the way in fps's and any other type of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Inverted mouse OFFage.
    Except in battlefield when I'm using a plane :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Usually don't play with invert mouse on, but if a game needs it, i can switch easily enough :)

Advertisement