Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ad Tracking

Options
  • 02-04-2004 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Lo

I am messing about with rotating banners on a site I am working on. Ill be doing it in coldfusion.

Currently it selects random banner images from the database and displays em. Lovely.

But, how do I track impressions per banner to see how many hits the ad is getting ? Im not really interesting in indepth stats, just a number of clickthrus would do. How is it done ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

quite a few ways to do this:

I reckon one of the simplest is to tag ?someidentifier onto the end of each ad's link so when user clicks it is logged as: GET /path/file.html?advert3. Then just word count the number of lines in your logs with that 'advert3' string. No need for 'fancy' stats package.

if you've unix command line capability, then just search the relevant logfile for the string and count the instances...

%> grep "advert3" access_log.whatevername | wc -l

or if using the dos prompt in the dir with the logs in...

c:\> find "advert3" > foo.txt

then count the lines in foo.txt using textpad or even word/line count in word or in excel

hth
    \r

Advertisement