Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem trouble, please help!

Options
  • 02-04-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

ok, i have this crap Compaq presario runnin Win 98 at home, cost a bomb bout 4 yrs ago. i dont use but me folks have recently started usin it for internet....
    couple of years ago modem was replaced cos it was shot by lightening.
    a motorola one was stuck in there. I live in a rural area and i hear 56k dial up motorola modems are not too good in the country side??
    havin wikid modem trouble. used to connect very intermittently. said veryifing user name and password and then unable to establish a connection. i was getting a dial tone and hyperterminal worked fine (rang me mobile) i was going mad with the thing, formatted and reinstalled, was sure it was a s/w thing, reinstalled the driver for the new modem. still no go. before i threw it out the window i tried a different cable. low and behold that worked. how can u be getting a dial tone and still the cable is faulty?? well now im getting a different error: no dial tone. diff kettle of fish now. brand new cable, hyperterminal not working....no dial tone. are we lookin at new modem again? or is there anythin we can do? roll on cheap broadbrand
    thanks for any opinions/advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

it could be a faulty modem if it's detecting a dial tone and then not detecting it. Try getting the latest drivers for the modem and see if that helps. if not you can pick up a modem for €15 online.

Advertisement