Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Irish Films

Options
  • 02-04-2004 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I recently purchased "Veronica Guerrin" on dvd - really excellent! Beautiful locations (shot round Dublin) and the acting was brilliant (an all Irish cast 'cept for Kate Blanchet).

I would like to know if there are any other "Irish" films that you'd recommend...

So far I have: The Commitments
    Veronica Guerrin
    The Matchmaker
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (a recreated docu-drama) *this one is difficult to watch*

and I've an order in for: The Boxer
    In the Name of the Father

Any others that I should keep an eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i loved intermission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Aidan Lynch

If you can get your hands on "I went down", starring Brendan Gleeson, it's one of the best Irish movies I've seen. It was out about 5 years ago or so, but you shuld be able to get it anywhere you can get good indie movies.

If you do get it, let me know where, coz I'd love to buy a copy.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Good Irish films are very hard to come by.... after much thought i've come up with a few...

Disco Pigs
    On The Edge (cillian murphy connection purely coincidental)
    Butcher Boy - which is actually a great great film book is brilliant aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

strange coincidence. just started studying irish films in college.

song for a raggy boy
    goldfish memory
    last of the high kings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Originally posted by lamda
    cillian murphy connection purely coincidental
    ...but well appreciated I'm sure :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

I must say that i thought that veronica guerin was really bad. The worst bit was when a TD, yes a TD was called a "member of parlament"???!!!!. And a lot of the characters were very inacurate. (especially the TD in question, Who in the whole film has a suit on, the man is notorious for NEVER wearing a shirt and tie)

Most recently I did like intermission.
    Although it was shot like a bicardi ad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

yeah, not seen the film yet, but apparently the sunday indo is portrayed as a bastion of good journalism when in reality it's a muck-raking tabloid in broadsheet form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

If you do get it, let me know where, coz I'd love to buy a copy
    You can get I went down on www.musicselection.com ive seen a number of films listed and I went down was the only decent one. if sure more good irish filims exist I just havent seen many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Aidan Lynch

Thanks Derek,
    It actually does come up on a few web searches, now that I've bothered to look :)

Pity it only seems to be on VHS, but it's still worth the buy. When it was in the cinema, I think I went about 4 times, bringing various people to see it. They were all as impressed as I was (thank god - I get it badly wrong sometimes and I'm made suffer for it)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Heehee you can see my primary school in "I Went Down".....that shot of downtown Edenmore at the end is really..em..special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by trent_derby
    Most recently I did like intermission.
    Although it was shot like a bicardi ad!!!

I liked it too - though, like the Commitments, there seemed to be a lot of cursing - are we really like that?

what do you mean, "shot like a bicardi ad"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Feck internet shopping, credit cards and all that hassle, I used to work in Xtra Vision, here's a tip for ya; just pick out the film ya want and dont bring it back, the maximum charge for all those older (not new release) films is €10, no 28 day delivery crap or anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

"Some Mother's son" was good

"Guests of the nation" Film version of the short story...
    "Poultry in motion"
    "Puckoon"
    "The Revolution will not be televised" Documentary film yeah but really good all the same.
    "The Company of Wolves"
    "Yu Ming is ainm dom" Very funny film :)

All I can think of that haven't been mentioned or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

what do you mean, "shot like a bicardi ad"?

Just the way that the camera moved like a home video, which i find a lot of the bicardi ads look like too. Obviously minus the vinnie jones and the hot latino chicks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I went to see a preview of a supposedly unfinished film called 'man about dog', twas a deadly film. I think there was one scene missing from version I saw.
    Similar to Snatch and filmed mostly up north about these guys who get given a greyhound that is crap and sell it to some knackers then realise the dog only chases live animals and then runs like lightning so they steal it back.

Personally thought it was more enjoyable than Intermission.

Not heard anything else about it anywhere, brilliant film I thought, great characters and very funny.

Anyone else seen or heard about it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

Originally posted by ThatBloke
    the sunday indo is in reality a muck-raking tabloid in broadsheet form

that was beautifully said..

ok i'm not saying it's the best film ever but when brendan met trudy's pretty funny

also going to repeat the disco pigs/ intermission submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭christi

I'll look into all of your suggestions..... I hope I can find them!

Again thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

Originally posted by Rockiemalt
    strange coincidence. just started studying irish films in college.

song for a raggy boy
    goldfish memory
    last of the high kings

goldfish memory was the biggest pile of ****e ever to have robbed 90 minutes from my life.

only redeeming features -

your one from riverdance (or whatever) was practically the only acting talent in it

couple of good tunes

some interestingly composed scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

sadly most irish movies are rubbish:mad:

everything is at 100mph and the character deveopment is non existant.the general has to be one of the worst films ever made,though ordainary decent criminal beats it.pure dirt.

here are some exceptions:

my left foot:excellent
    angelas ashes: not bad
    h3:quite good
    the courier:bit dated but not bad
    joyriders:ditto
    michael coliins:very good
    in the name of the father :good
    the butcher boy :good
    da:good
    eat the peach:very good

the commitements:quite good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

About Adam is alright. Not brilliant, but by no means rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Intermission and I went down would both get my vote along with a film i caught there a while ago called Dead Bodies which is for want of a better descripton like an Irish Shallow Grave.

An added bonus to 'I went down' is the fact that Karl Fletchers bird from from Dream Team gets tehm out for the lads in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 caro

im starting a petition to have colin farrel killed, diced and fed to angry dolphins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I'll sign that

I say spare the "dirty" bugger's life - simply because he's Irish :)

And Re: "About Adam"

Yeah, by no means rubbish... I liked it - I know chick flick.... but the use of Christina Rossetti's "Goblin Market" was genius, and the movie is worth watching just for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SolidSnake

On the nose is good and evelin was made in ireland there both good films

I've taken note of all of your suggestions - this little indulgence of mine is going to cost me an arm & a leg... and perhaps an ear :) Wen't to HMV this afternoon and not much there, but I can order every title... so that's what I'm going to do - buy two at a time.

My first two ordres are: In the Name of the Father & I went down.

Thanks Board - really!

Time to tuck me into bed and fall into the abyss of sleep while listening to Phantom :)

Sweet dreams & Nightmares To all

xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

has war of the buttons been mentioned?

i remember thinking it was great when i was a wee young fella but i saw it last christmas methinks and it wasn't too great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

oh and into the west

tayto tayto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Its the Rockies ossie

:D

Advertisement