Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom's winback department tactics

Options
  • 02-04-2004 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

This is an email from my friend who are with UTV for broadband and have their phone switched over to UTV as part of the deal. And this is what customers have to go through from eircom.
    OK, story goes like this - for the past week or so, we've been getting mysterious phone calls - calls that would come in, but when we answered, no one would speak, and they would hang up. So this was happening day in day out, with increased regularity (seemingly) each day. They'd call a few times each day (7 times today), and we were beginning to get quite pissed. Obviously we assumed they were hoax calls. So we decided to get caller id, which was actually more hassle than you'd think, and after a little while, they called again and we got their number. Then, finally, tonight they called again, and this time someone did actually answer. It was eircom! Wondering why we'd switched phone companies! Eircom's marketing team!

My dad went ballistic. They hung up. My mom called them back, and managed to get an "explanation" out of them. Apparently they have an automated system that calls numbers in their database every so often - but why they can't answer the phone themselves is because sometimes no one is available to take the call (busy with other calls), and they've no control over when the computer calls!! Sot it'll hang up! So basically they're willing to interrupt your day however many times it is necessary until one of their staff is actually free to talk to you. How unbelievable is that!!! They explained this so calmly and cooly, without apology, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. They have, however, deleted us from their database apparently, so we should get any more calls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eirscum are members of the Irish Direct Marketing Association . The IDMA has a Code of Practise on Telemarketing. The code is 4 pages long and available Here

They must complain FIRST to Lisa O Rourke who is supposed to Be In Overall Charge of this practise and to ENSURE that it is compliant, her email address is lorourke@eircom.ie Tel: 017012207 . If Lisa cannot sort it pronto then your friends may complain to the IDMA as per below.

The specific offence follows. The bit of that code that Eirscum broke was that the autodial did not identify the source of the call.

"10.63 In the case of the calls generated automatically where a computer generated or
    recorded message is to be used the call should either:
    (a) Immediately effect an introduction on the lines of ‘This is a pre-recorded call on
    behalf of …’
    (b) Have a ‘Live’ operator introduce the call under those circumstances where the nature
    of the call is of a personal or a sensitive nature.
    10.64 Members should subscribe to the Telephone Preference Service (when it becomes
    available)
    11.00 COMPLAINTS
    10.10 Consumers who feel that they have grounds for complaint under the terms of the
    Code and against a member of the Irish direct Marketing Association should write, in
    the first instance, to the member firm concerned, at the address indicated in the
    member’s advertisement catalogue or other offer.
    11.12 If attempts to reach a satisfactory conclusion fail, the Consumer has the right to refer
    the complaint in writing to:
    The Secretary
    Irish Direct Marketing Association
    The Powerhouse
    Pigeon House Harbour
    Dublin 4
    11.13 On receipt of a complaint in writing, the IDMA will use its best endeavours to try to
    resolve the dispute. Members will co-operate with the Association in seeking an
    equitable solution to problems referred to the Association.
    11.14 Members are required to comply with the recommendation of the Association.
    Evidence of non-compliance with the recommendations of the IDMA in relation to a
    complaint will result in expulsion from the Association."

The Winback manager is still Alan Cox as far as I know, acox@eircom.ie , complain to him as well.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

We had someone from eircom calling to our house in person the other day trying to win us back.

GO AWAY!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The number of phone calls coming in from OLO's now is getting totally out of hand. I've had two in the past week, and one the week before. And they seem to be employing total wusses these days -- they actually seem offended when I tell them I'm not interested within three seconds of picking up the phone.

adam

I'm getting calls to my land line even though I'm ex directory from companies that want my call business...
    Where are they getting my number??

I only once got a call from Eircom and told them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Isn't there some minimum period of time where they cannot try and win you back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

we were also getting these phantom calls from eircom, about 3 per day, usually nobody was here (caller ID said it was them), and when we did answer it was silence on the other end, no message, no operator, nothing.
    eventually we did find someone on the other end and gave out ****e to them.
    very apologetic of course.
    I expect the next call tomorrow at 11ish as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Awww..I'm feeling all left out ;) With UTV for over a year now and not one single call! (course it probably helps that I only use the landline for broadband and the occasional quick call).

I'm ex-directory too so if I start getting marketing calls, Eircom will be gettin a call too!

(and yea, I thought it was 3 months or something before they can start this and they have to stop immediately if you request it, no?)

Advertisement