Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Facelifted Ford Scorpio - opinions

Options
  • 02-04-2004 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions (hopefully good) on the end of line 1998 facelifted Ford Scorpios. You can distinguish these from the older 94'-'97 models by the lack of chrome on the front grill and also on the boot. They also have darkened/tinted headlights. This, together with redesigned rear tail lights, gives the car a much nicer arse than earlier models, IMO. Chances of seeing one are quite slim as there are only a handful of them in the country, unless you see me around Dublin! I bought one the other day in dark blue and I think it's a fantastic looking car. It's the Ultima spec with an auto box and I can easily say that it's the nicest car I have ever driven. It comes with every gadget I can think of and the seats are like armchairs. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with these cars?
    I know in the past people have said that they were a terribly ugly car with their "frog eye" headlights and "American" rear end but now that Mercedes and Lexus are bringing out cars with loads of chrome in the grille (mailnly Mercedes) and frog eye type headlights, I think the Scorpio is only now beginning to fit in with other cars. Maybe it was just ahead of it's time??? For such an expensive car when new (€40K +), they are fantastic value for money now. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

How much did u get it for?

What sort of mileage on it?

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

I paid €6,950 for it - €3,750 for the trade in for the old car so I only paid €3,200. I got it in a dealer with a service history, an NCT was done for it 3 months early and it has a 3 month parts and labour warranty too. It has 83,000 miles on it but I have been told that the engines are fairly bullet-proof. The engine itself is a 2.3L and is almost completely silent. Already there has been a few instances where I have had to rely on the tachometer to tell me that the engine was running.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I remember seeing some scorpios (the older ones) around and have been in just one. IMO they're a lot nicer on the inside than out. Haven't seen the later model one though, do you have any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ford_Scorpio_GFR_S_SR_02_B.jpg

They are spectacuarly ugly...!

Much cooler (in obvious Sweeney fashion) :cool:

zcars_ford_granada_001.jpg

Mike.

Mike
    You obviously haven't driven a Scorpio before so. Have to admit though, the pic of the Granada (it is a Granada, isn't it???) is cool. Great looking classic. How do I paste or attach pics into a post? CAn't figure it out.

• Advertisement

Or is it a Cortina???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No I hav'nt driven one its true. The Granny Mk 1 and 2
    look quite good. To display an image use img /img
    tags. Not all forums allow them so check check below in the forums rules (bottom left corner)

Mike.

Ok. This is the arse of a facelift model (not mine, obviously). There is less chrome, the tail lights are different and it doesn't look so brash and "American"
    rearfl.jpg
    Compared with rear end of the older non facelift Scorpio. Which you prefer (if any) is entirely dependent on your taste.
    dscf0020.jpg

Front of the non facelift:
    200fr.jpg

Front of the facelift (not a great colour, I'll admit:
    flfrontright.jpg

And finally, a pic of the interior. You have to admit, the inside IS nice :)
    img_0277.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The old car is a Mk 1 Granada Ghia 3 litre. Cool car and I'm a big fan of the styling - it's a beautiful car.

Here's a nerdy fact: The car used in The Sweeney wasn't actually a Granada. It was a Ford Consul GT 3 litre. But the Consul and Granada are basically the same car except for trim and badge differences.

As for the Scorpio. I'm afraid the only thing positive thing I can say about the styling is that it's different and distinctive. Basically I think the car (even post facelift) is as ugly as sin, but it does have some character. And the car itself is quite good with good levels of equipment, space and comfort plus it's rear wheel drive. And as was said already, the car is not a common sight so at least it's something a bit unusual.

BrianD3

Here are some bigger pics of the interior. Come on now, you have to like the interior!!! The white stuff in the footwells is just paper.
    16219.jpg

16206.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I quite like it to be honest

Thanks Draupnir.
    As BrianD3 said, it's different and distinctive and rare. So I know that I'm not driving the same old Primeras, Mondeos, Omegas and all the other saloons from the mid/late 90's that just all seem to look slightly alike. The Scorpio is different and it has ALL the creature comforts I could ask for. What's more, as it's one of the rare facelift models, the chances of seeing another facelift model are very slim. In fact, I've only ever seen one. It was a silver one driving down Chesterfield Ave in the Phoenix Park - And that was about 2 years ago. As you can expect, I had been looking for one these for quite some time. A bit thirsty she is though. And the tax-man is fleecing me - nearly €750 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's well reported (UK magazines and programs) that it is a pretty good car with a lot of luxury and very cheap for what you get second hand, especially in the UK.

One can clearly see from your pictures that an interior like that usually belongs to a car a lot more upmarket :)

Having said that, I think it's the second ugliest car in the last decade after the Fiat Multipla and that car is so ugly it's almost cute. Ford sold about 4 in Europe in it's last year so they decided to pull the plug :D

Ford sold about 4 in Europe in it's last year

Well then my end of the line Scorpio must be even rarer than I thought - unless of course you were exaggerating ever so slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by ntl Technical
    unless of course you were exaggerating ever so slightly

Me, never :p

Advertisement