Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 startup problem

Options
  • 02-04-2004 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

I cant get my work PC to start. It starts as far as the "starting windows" screen and stops. the gray block doesnt even move across the screen.

I tried safe mode, last known good configuration. Safe moce stops on the line "winnt\systems32\config\system\. the rest of the F8 options dont all stop at the starting windows screen.

I have tried the recovery console and tried fixboot,fixmbr and chkdsk and still nothing.

The thing is the boss said never mess up the computer. I didnt install anything i should not have or anything like that. just turned it off and on when it hung. I cant format the disk as its got backups of other computers on it.

Any ideas. I havent any Service packs installed as windows keep saying the service packs are corrupt even though they are not.

Please help a member in need!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Looks like part of your registry could be damaged. Hard drive been making any funny noises lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Does the pc make any sounds when booting up?

Try booting from a win2k bootable cd and try and run the recovery process, might be able to fix the problem without lossing your data.

If you cant find any fix apart from formatting and you do not want to lose your data, remove the hard drive from the pc and put it into a different machine, boot up on that machine and you should be able to recover your data then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the computer is bag of crap which never worked right. its fairly dodgy piece of equipment that does all sorts of werid things. looks like i am going to have to slave the hard drive and pretend nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Try this and see if it's any help...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Colm.

Advertisement