Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc airflow

Options
  • 02-04-2004 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what way people have adjusted their air flow in their pcs?, mine is a jumble of wires,using a cheiftec dragon case, 2 purple fans in front sucking air in, 2 purple in the back blowing out,however i have clear side panel, though my friends say it should be sucking in air, when i do the reverse it seems to get cooler temps out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i have four 80mm jobbies altogether, two vantec stealths sucking in, one on the side case and one under the hard drives. there two rear standard antec fans as exhausts.

tbh my case temp is never really an issue i think there is good cirulation in there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Tbh,iv cut off all the unnecessary cable from the psu that i dont need and used ''uv'' spiral wrap on the rest.The case has a 120mm fan sucking in at the front and another 120mm blowing air out at the back.case temp is very low.Tidy up the cables to get a better airflow.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very nice m8

I can see that Combat is enyoing himself in there :D

Must do something about my cables, they are all over the shop :(

Fortunately I now have rounded IDE cables for my optical drives and floppy and nice SATA power and data cables for my Samsungs

Didn't need to do anything to my case (Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire) as it came with 80mm in right side to suck in air over the harddisks, 90mm in left side to suck in air, 80mm in front to blow out air and 90mm in back to blow out air, all 21dBA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Have one 80mm (blue neon) fan sucking air in lower front with hard drive straight behind it - also have a 5.25 inch external bay with cage with 3x20mm fans blowing air over 2nd hard drive and then straight onto memory.... another 80mm (red/blue neon) on lower left hand side of side panel blows air onto vid card...

1x80mm (red neon) exhaust fan at rear and 1x80mm (blue neon) exhaust fan on top

waste of time - I don't even overclock! (ah well, ok, I do a bit...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've got a Cheiftec Dragon also, two 80mm fans in the front taking in air, two in the back blowing it out, and a side fan blowing towards the graphics card.

Cables can be annoying, but I find if you just get those little wire cable ties you get with mostly any electrical product, you can tie back a lot of unnesicary cables, and keep everything sleek(ish) and together, instead of a big jumble. I've also ordered some rounded IDE cables, which should help.

What you could also do, if you REALLY need more airflow, is remove your floppy drive, and you can stick 2 60mm fans in there, and an PCI exhaust bracket.

But I think for now just tie back the cables as best you can, and see how you get on.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Tbh,iv cut off all the unnecessary cable from the psu that i dont need and used ''uv'' spiral wrap on the rest.The case has a 120mm fan sucking in at the front and another 120mm blowing air out at the back.case temp is very low.Tidy up the cables to get a better airflow.

CombatCow

man i love seeing that case its quality cow and all. But was that a q-tec psu i in the top left hand corner? now i know why the other pic i saw as in the dark :p

seriously though my cables are all over the place, something i plan on sorting out in the summer along with some neon fans and a cold cathode and stuff. my psu seems to have oodles of cables i dont need which at the moment are just shoved above the dvd drives and such bah its minging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    seriously though my cables are all over the place, something i plan on sorting out in the summer along with some neon fans and a cold cathode and stuff. my psu seems to have oodles of cables i dont need which at the moment are just shoved above the dvd drives and such bah its minging

Data! Honestly, those little twisty wire cable ties!
    They'll work miracles for you...

just normal cable ties is it? i could knick a few of em from work

i like combatcows uv kinda cable wrap thing i have to say. is it easy to remove? where do you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

overclock.co.uk do a range here, but they don't have the UV stuff. It looks really simple to put on/off, just wrap it around, plus you can break out cables anywhere along its length.

Was thining about getting a sleeving kit, like those shown on the page linked above, but the spiral stuff seems a bit more flexible (in usage terms :)).

:o I know im gonna replace the psu soon.Ne way erm the uv spiral wrap - it's actually watercooling tubing that i bought from hitide.ie and cut to into the spiral shape with a blade because i couldent find any propper ''uv'' stuff on the net.It is simple to put on and take off and tidys the cables up nicely,also fleetwoodcomputers.co.uk have lots of cool ''uv'' stuff like the green uv molex connectors(like the 1's on my gfx card and wc pump) and 90 degree molex connectors which im gonna use in my new case as soon as it arrives.;)

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by Combatcow
    it's actually watercooling tubing that i bought from hitide.ie and cut to into the spiral shape with a blade because i couldent find any propper ''uv'' stuff on the net.

Kewel. I read this recently and it sounds exactly like what you did. Is it easy enough to cut?

Yeah thats it exactly,it was a bit painful to cut but if you take your time it should be no problem,turns out well tho.:)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

here's a pic of my setup, pic is a little grainy though :mad:

Advertisement