Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another death in GAA

• 02-04-2004 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

an Antrim player died today.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the news in work to catch the name. :( my badd.

What was interesting to note is that it's the third death in recent weeks of GAA players from northern counties.

[edit] to be discussed later perhaps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

rte.ie: http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0402/mcmullanf.html
    Tributes paid to Frankie McMullan

April 2, 2004

(21:38) The GAA President, Sean Kelly, has led the tributes to the family and friends of Frankie McMullan, the hurler from Dunloy in Co Antrim, who has died suddenly.

Mr Kelly said his death had left hurling fans throughout the country in a deep state of shock and sadness.

Mr McMullan, an electrician, was married with two children.

The 29-year-old full back with Dunloy Cuchulains had appeared in Croke Park in his fourth All-Ireland Club final on Saint Patrick's Day.

He was the third young sportsman from the North to die suddenly recently.
    point raised in work was is it possible these players are...engaging in activites to gain an extra edge in sport?

Would take offence to this point being just hours after the man has passed away. Bad Kaimera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yes gerire, I do realise it not the best statement in the world and I do apologize for the timing of it.

I think this shall be discussed in due time tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

While I agree that the timing is off, the same thought crossed my mind. While not suggesting for a minute that performance enhancing drugs had anything to do with either of the recent deaths, I would be suprised if some players (particularly at county level) did not take some substances to enhance their performance. However this is not thethread to discuss it in, so I've started a new one. I don't think it's inappropriate...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

R.I.P - Worryingly another star departs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Christ that is worrying. I hate to hear of **** like this. Last week Joe Duffy did a show and while I only heard 20 mins or so, there appeared to be 10 or more people call in with reports similar - healthy, young, usually fit people who simply died for no reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement