Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloody search bars...

Options
  • 03-04-2004 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

ok, i've had enough!

i have two search bars attached to the top of IE, mySearch and iSearch. utnil today it was just mySearch, which i didnt bother too much about cos i could just unclick from view>toolbars

howwever isearch has now been added by a redirect i had when loooking for a page that didnt exist.

not only are they bloody annoying, but now i can unclick or click anything in view>toolabars - everything is greyed out except the TextLabels.

I've installed Spybot S&D, which did find mySearch (as well as other stuff - stupid sisters are clueless!) but even though they are gone the bar remains!! plus it found no trace of isearch.

anyone know how i can (i) find the incrimating files and get rid of them or (ii) what program is most helpful for this a la spybot or (iii) any other option. preferably option (i)or (iii), i like to download stuff as little as poss.

any help much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Spybot should find it, make sure it and its definitions are up to date. Ditto AdAware. And tighten up the security on your browser -- Tools > Internet Options > Security in IE6 or post your browser version so someone else can tell you how to get there. If you're not up to it, install another browser. Firefox isn't bad, or Opera.

adam

I had a nasty toolbar like that a few days ago. Go to add/remove programs and check for any suspicious looking programs or ones you dont remember installing and remove them. It worked a treat. I doubt the spyware programs will remove it as I have 4 of them and none picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Alot of 'browser companions' only pretend to uninstall when you use add remove programs, you have to use spybot/adaware to get rid off all the files and the registry entries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

bah my sister was on my computer and got crap on it like lycos side search some of them can be a bitch to remove even when you uninstall them it was still there in IE my cousin had similar difficulty.

try a program called CWshredder that did it for me

data

Originally posted by Kevok
    Alot of 'browser companions' only pretend to uninstall when you use add remove programs, you have to use spybot/adaware to get rid off all the files and the registry entries too.

interesting...

well I used add/remove and the spyware proggies and theres no sign of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as dataisgod said, try doing a search for cwshredder. Gets rid of the multitude of Coolsearch variants. (iesearch, coolsurf, surfsearch etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and make sure you have the most up todate reference file for adaware also, this solved something for me just yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

Firstly don't leave anybody near your computer and you won't get browser hijacks

If you still get em check out: cwshredder
    Type that into on of your search bars download it and run it...It takes the hijacks off!

Advertisement