Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone UK Launch 3G (PC Data Card)

Options
  • 03-04-2004 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Vodafone have launched their 3G UMTS/GPRS PC Data Card and made it available through it's retail outlets. That means their price plans have also been published...

they have four 3G/GPRS subscriptions, all based around data volume no duration/time based offerings mentioned like Voda Germany offer though...

(Eur value rounded from XE.com and not taking into account different UK VAT rate, and isn't a representation of the pricing sturcture that will be offered here)

Low:
    Data card RRP £200
    5 MB Inclusive for GBP £11.75 (Eur 17.75)
    GBP £2.35 (Eur 3.50) for each additional 1 MB

Medium:
    Data card RRP £150
    25 MB Inclusive for GBP £23.50 (Eur 35.50)
    GBP £1.76 (Eur 2.65) for each additional 1 MB

High:
    Data card RRP £130
    150 MB Inclusive for GBP £53.00 (Eur 80.00)
    GBP £0.88 (Eur 1.32) for each additional 1 MB

Power:
    Data card RRP £100
    500 MB Inclusive for GBP £99.99 (Eur 150)
    GBP £0.59 (Eur 0.90) for each additional 1 MB

They have a promotion until Oct that you get double the inclusive data amount for the same price for Medium, High and Power users guaranteed for at least 12 months... e.g. Power users get 1000 MB a month for GBP £99.99

Wonder what pricing is in store for us when it arrives here...

BrianG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have had the benefit of using the 3G data card on a few occassions and it certainly is fine piece of kit. I have never once got download rates of less that 40kb/sec from decent sites, whether I be in Sandyford or in the city cente (this will not doubt change when there is other people competing for the available capacity).

I really hope they introduce a flat rate package for data similar to that of T-Mobiles offerings. This would make it a viable alternative to ADSL if the prices were competively priced, although I don't know how real time servicies perform (possibly a higher latency). I would guess the options introcuded here will be quite similar to those introduced in the UK.

The time based charging offered in Germany seems to be a bit harsh and sort of defeats the whole purpose of what 3G/GPRS data services are meant to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

More from skynews.co.uk

A flat rate deal is definitly needed.
    Only those on the Power option will get full use out of it. The High option would be ok if someone is just using it for sending emails with file attachments for work and stuff, but thats it. The Low and Medium option seems crap in my opinion.
    The full advantage of this will only be seen when a flat rate deal is offered, and no extra charge per MB downloaded over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My impression is that it will be quite a while before we see a truely competitive flat rate option (which I think is a real shame) as they are not trying to compete with ADSL just yet. I am sure in time, once the 3G networks get better capacity and more reliable (and they have milked some higher charges out of those that will pay premium for fully mobile data services at this sort of speed) the prices will come down with better bundled packages. But dont expect it in the short term.

I have had one of these cards for a while now and as jesus says it is a really fine piece of kit.

Advertisement