Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is digiweb wireless any good?

• 03-04-2004 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering getting in digiweb wireless broadband, was wondering if anyone here is using it and can tell me if it's any good?

Was going to go for the bizweb 18:1 512k service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

A firend of mine has there uncapped business product.

He has real problems with speed...often drops to near dial-up speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I have it at home.

They have just build a new network topology using ESB and new Tier-1 transit providers and the service is really good.

I have the standard 512k home product.

I live in Navan and if you want to come out and have a look at it here drop me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

location may be a factor...my friend is in Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by crawler

I live in Navan and if you want to come out and have a look at it here drop me a PM.

I'm just outside Drogheda town...I wonder where the transmitter is in the town? Someone around the corner from me has it so i'll ask them how they find it, but thanks for the offer :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have it at home.

They have just build a new network topology using ESB and new Tier-1 transit providers and the service is really good.

I have the standard 512k home product.

what sorta pings do you get with that on boards and jolt.co.uk etc.?

• Advertisement

Between 27-41ms.

I know Navan is on the new Topology, Other towns to follow shortly. DSL is also on new links ( Tier-1 transit providers)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

those jolt pings are really good.

They are - I'm not a gamer myself but do use piles of Citrix thin client stuff.

In the 5 weeks I have had it, I have not had one single drop out on Citrix.

I'll try a few more pings later when the links are busier and see what results I get - let me know if there are any other servers you want tests run to.

Big big difference in Transit providers from Ireland - I am a big fan of Packet Exchange and Level(3) - C&W are okish too. Some other transit providers really sacrafice latency for price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Between 27-41ms.

Wow...that's fantastic for a wireless service!
    Have you any idea how close you are to digiweb's base station in Navan?

I am about 1.5km as the crow flies - Although I think it moved yesterday so I may be wrong - I do know though that it didnt move very far :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

a wireless service can give pings in single figures to their gateway server, and pings between 12-25 to irish sites. That is of course assuming everything is running smoothly in their own network.

With IBB i used to get pings of 25-35 in irish game servers, but recently its gotten a lot spikier. Generally between 40-50 and spiking to 100. I might send them an e-mail if it gets any worse.

Thank you Mutant_Fruit!

I am constantly telling people that an air interface is not the reason for bad pings. I often see sub 10ms on the u interface.

Bad pings are caused by :-

Badly dimensioned networks
    Incorrect BGP config
    Picking the wrong transit providers for the wrong destinations
    Lack of proper monitoring
    Lack of good backhaul
    Lack of processing power at any major routing/switching point
    Naturally - Lack of capacity, leading to Packet loss, retries And Q's

It's not rocket science, it just needs to be "got right" :)

Advertisement