Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Arsenal(scores)

• 03-04-2004 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Shaping up to be a great match, no Van or Henry, gona be fun :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Crackin game, Arsenal will be kickin themselves if they go behind, that was some save by Carroll
    United seem to be on top but no real clear cut chances where as Arsenal have at 3 if not 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOo

1-0 TO man united from scholes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

half time
    1-0 to utd
    how arsenal didnt score is beyond me!

should be a good second half but arsenal need be more clinical

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bah.

Man Utd's 5 man midfield has done well, Edu is having a poor game as is Ljungberg. The Bergkamp/Aliadiere partnership isn't working at all and I expect Henry will replace Aliadiere before too long. Ronaldo looks very dangerous down the right hand side, Campbell has had to intercept a lot of his crosses... RVN is being missed in this aspect i think.

Definately feel there are more goals for both sides in it (i hope!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How did Pieres miss that header?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good game still more goals in it I would think, Stepovers is having a blinder in attack.
    More of the same in the second hald would be nice . No doubt Henry willl be put on early second half.

I think Caroll is having an absolutely amazing game!

Two really really good cahnces saved

Originally posted by mike65
    How did Pieres miss that header?

Mike.

Why was he still on the pitch?;)

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Why was he still on the pitch?;)

I was going to mention that, he and Freddie have been a waste of space.

Mike.

Reyes and Henry have changed the game completely!

• Advertisement

5 min left but its all over as far as im concerned
    what a ****e performance by arsenal

ali should never have played

blame lies firmly with wenger!!

que all the utd supporters claiming victory and (hahaha u lost :rolleyes: )

claiming victory? er... they got it :p

Well done utd, not much between the teams but in the end Utd took their chance while Arsenal didn't. More worrying for Arsenal fans is how knackered the players looked, doesn't bode well for the next few days :dunno:

Originally posted by jank
    5 min left but its all over as far as im concerned
    what a ****e performance by arsenal

blame lies firmly with wenger!!

OOOOOOOOOOH YES!

SACK WENGER:rolleyes:

Shocking second half from Arsenal, when you end up with 5 strikers (inlcuding Ljungberg) you know its not gone according to plan.

Wes Brown for England?

Mike.

ah well i hope arsenal can go on on wrap up the league and go far in the CL
    chelsea next up

i hope this defeat gives them a good kick up the ass

i still wonder why did wenger play ali
    he was injured since january and his first game was a fa cup semi against utd!?!?
    reyes should have started if not henry or even bently

i wonder could he go out on a high now after a fa cup
    you heard it here first

all utd did was score, tackle, and defend which they did very well and arsenal were really unlucky not score in the first half

second half was ****e and the introduction if reyes and henry came too late really
    utd basiclly had no strikers and the battle was won in midfield

wes brown man of the match

lets hope sunderland or millwall will cause a shock!

all said this was the most important match of utd's season with arsenal's more important matches coming up!

edit: all i said muppet was that ali should never have played.
    did he touch the ball??

sack him(how i love when others put words in my mouth!) well he is the best manager in england currently aint he?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

End of the treble, still the only the real treble holders:D

Defeat well deserved for all the diving and cheating and arrogance, whinging and moanin will win you nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good finish by Scholes to grab the winner but Arsenal were very poor in the 2nd half. Good performance by UTD\ though and leaves the possibility of a UTD Sunderland final very much on.

all utd did was score, tackle, and defend which they did very well

LOL whats missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well done to united they deserved the win today. Arsenal just didn't click properly as a team today especially in the 2nd half.

The one thing I love is the attitude of certain united fans. Are they happy they have made it to a final, no they just want to gloat about another teams misfortune. Ah well if thats what makes you happy.

Time to take this defeat out on Chelsea!!! :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Roy Keane wasn't on that pitch United wouldn't have a chance, they really will miss him.

BTW - ManU fans >>>>> Arsenal fans (were there actually any?)

ah heya yop, not seen you around here much lately. i suppose given uniteds bad run of form couldnt last forever it was inevitable that you'd be back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Great game! I was a nervous wreck @ the end.

This just in, Harlem Globe Trotters have made an official bid of €1.29 for Mick Silvestre :D

Can't believe Lehman didn't walk ... I know it was off the pitch, but he needs to be given a kicking by his players and manager, because he's gonna do that & not get away with it & end up costing Arsenal!!

Arsenal looked knackered at the end ... as did Keano :(

LOL whats missing?

one word

CLASS

utd are turning into liverpool hoofing long balls up to ronaldo or whoever!

dont mean to be picky but whats the story with a handball these days!? are the playing GAA (well silvestre anyway seems confused and lucky to get away with it twice)

If memory serves, both goals scored against Arsenal [today & last week] were a result of us passing through not over your defence :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

where was Arsenals class today.

Come on jank dont be a sore loser United Won today fair and square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by eirebhoy

BTW - ManU fans >>>>> Arsenal fans (were there actually any?)

Well, their aim with coins was certainly better.

After a great first 30-40 mins it didnt turn out to be the classic we were all hoping for i think. Arsenal just didnt click today as was seen by the amount of chances that ran aground in a packed penalty area. The moaners wanted it more and by the end they didnt look troubled at all by a bizzarre arsenal shape.

All the same, nice to see gary neville still hoping for the RADA callback, I dont think pires deserved to go given the attention he was getting. Definite handball by silvestre but on the form arsenal were in, someone would probably have missed the peno.

Have to say though, Stepovers played well today. Hes had a nice second half to the season.

So come on sunderland! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL jank calm down lad. If they have someone like "my little pony" playing on form then of course they are going get the ball to him. He actually impressed me alot today cause he fired some very good crosses in after all the stepovers and tricks.

They took the goal very well. (I have to go and repair that table now !!!)

As for the Handballs the first was accidential even Saint Ian admitted that at half time but the 2nd one did look dodgy but it wasn't clearcut.

Wenger should have played Henry from the start thou, that was a costly error.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    Can't believe Lehman didn't walk ... I know it was off the pitch, but he needs to be given a kicking by his players and manager, because he's gonna do that & not get away with it & end up costing Arsenal!!

why didn't pires go aswell the ref was pretty poor when it came to the cards.

keane should of gotten yellow
    and few arsenal players shouldn't of (in second half can't remeber who though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Well the scenes of celebration with the players and fans were almost comical, not too long ago ferguson wrote off the FA cup as a nothing competition.
    At least now, while the two top tams in England are fighting it out for a champions league semi spot, United can sit back and enjoy the glory of this season :D
    G'wan the PLC, income is up so who cares....

The ref was definately p!ss poor today ... Doesn't surprise me! The level of refereeing has gone down the toilet this season :mad:

Originally posted by elbow316
    Well the scenes of celebration with the players and fans were almost comical

Lets put a spin on this!! Would you be ecstatic if Arsenal had a sh!te season, but still managed to beat the best team in the UK to @ least give some hope of winning a trophy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Man i amm absolutely fecking exstatic :D (yes yes i know only FA cup but when its all you have )

Arsenal should have been infront within the first 10minutes but for a fine save from Carrol. First half was very exciting stuff and Ronaldo imo played a blinder with Fletcher doing quite well in midfield. Keane played well but i do think Fletcher helped him out a lot.
    The goal was fantastic, little runs all over the place and a great finish. Arsenal unlucky not to be level tho.
    Ronaldo my player of the half.

Second half wasn't as good but im very pleased at how Man u kept it so very very tight. Tbh i was really nervous of Henry coming on but when he did he was up there with 3-4 other attackers which imo gave him no room to do his little runs and was therefore fairly quiet. Brown played an aboslute stormer and Silvestre wasn't bad.
    Ronaldo did very little in the second half apart from that run into the box which got called as a free to Arsenal (for what i'll never know).
    Solskjaer did very well in the first half but was quiet and looked tired in the second.
    Overall my man of the match was Brown.

A few things to note (all my opinion).
    Pires should have gone for his bitch slap on Neville as should Lehman for his push on Ronaldo. Keane and Viera both should have gotten booked.
    Silvestre's handballs. I think he was lucky not to coneed a peno tho if one was given it would have been harsh.
    CLASS
    huh? o do shut it. If you don't think Man u have any class than you must be quiet blind and/or bitter.
    Well, their aim with coins was certainly better
    Yer that was an absolute disgrace (assuming it was a man u fan :p ) and the FA should look into the incident. Very disappointed about that(such a bad miss. was obviously aiming for wenger).Seriously tho that stuffs not on.
    huh again? What are you blathering on about? Long balls? First half man u passed it outta defence (second half too until the very end) with the odd ball over the top to keep the Arsenal players guessing. I'll asume you didn't really mean it and are just very disappointed which is understandable.

Its a little worrying for Arsenal that their players looked so tired already. Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool. Im fairly sure they will slip up against one of the 3 as they just will be too tired.

EDIT:
    Well the scenes of celebration with the players and fans were almost comical, not too long ago ferguson wrote off the FA cup as a nothing competition
    a) you beat your main rivals in a semi-final b) thats their first defeat in a long time c) its all you had left. Yes the FA cup is 3rd in the priorities at the start of the season but its deffo man u's only shot at silverware so... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

OH BABY HOW GOOD DOES THAT FEEL, NO TREBLE FOR THE GOONERS HAHA

On a serious note, Graham Barber should be shot he was shocking. Some great performances for United though, notables being Keane, Fletcher, Ronaldo and Brown.

I thought Arsenal were poor and looked a bit knackered at the end. What odds them losing to chelsea, liverpool and newcastle??

My question is this, how different would things be if Van Nistel had scored the peno at Old Trafford? At that stage United were flying and I dont know how ****e this season has been, if Arsenal are the best in England then how come its been 2 draws and a defeat to United for them??

I think a lot of Uniteds misfortune was due to Ferdinands suspension and bringing Brown back too early. Now the defence is sorted United look like they are back. next season will tell the truer story. Thats when we can talk about power shifts.

7 days from now Arsenal may be out of it all.

They may be but i somehow doubt it ;)
    (u can but hope of course, yes yes im bitter/jealous :p )

• Advertisement

I do hope so, oh I really do. Just because it would be funny.

Originally posted by Draupnir

Can't see it myself. Arsenal are just to good to be knocked by this result!

We can but hope that it will happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

My question is this, how different would things be if Van Nistel had scored the peno at Old Trafford?
    Well ye would only be 10 points behind us :P

Originally posted by elbow316
    Well ye would only be 10 points behind us :P

*lol :D ... smart ars3 :D

only 10 points behind!!! great comeback, I really like that, at last an Arsenal fan I like

• Advertisement

(u can but hope of course, yes yes im bitter/jealous )

spoke for most of man utd fans really!

hope that man utd fan that threw the coin gets done for, no need for that at all

i said before that utd played better and deserved it but it could have been so different
    (remember arsenal hit the post and crossbar!)

the ref was absolutely terrible and for both sides, let utd get away with constent fouling and should have booked an arsenal player for diving, keane wasnt even booked like!

Rumours are spreading throughout the net that it was an Arsenal fan who threw the coins. Apparently the section behind the dugouts were pissed off with Wenger for not playin Henry.

I must say I doubt it though and whoever threw it should get a life ban. That could have killed someone

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Rumours are spreading throughout the net that it was an Arsenal fan who threw the coins. Apparently the section behind the dugouts were pissed off with Wenger for not playin Henry.

I must say I doubt it though and whoever threw it should get a life ban. That could have killed someone

is that an attempt at humor!?

Well the beeb comentators suggested that there were Arsenal supporters behind the dugours but they did say they weren't sure. That said there could easily have been an undercover man u fan in the arsenal section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

if it hadnt have hit Gary Lewin it would have hit Arsene Wenger, tho I do believe it was Man Utd fans and it was disgraceful.

Great match, such a high tempo game, had a feeling Man Utd would win because thats there only chance of silverware this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

That said there could easily have been an undercover man u fan in the arsenal section

Unlikely - if you did that in an opposing fand area you would be lynched

First half was fantastic, great attacking football between both teams.

How did Pires miss :/ I saw berkjamp with the ball and just knew something was gona happen.

Caroll made some amazing saves in that game.

Ronaldo was absolutely brilliant,
    Super Sub was very ineffective today which was sad :/

---

Second half was a different game, The game was a midfield battle with a few odd attacks and lots and lots of attacking set pieces for both teams.

When Henry and Reyes came on, the game became a lot more attacking for Arsenal, and defensive for Man United.
    Of course jank this is because man united are a boring boring boring team who are big stupid heads :rolleyes:

Man United rightly dropped back and played for the counter attack, and weren't silly enough to commit people forward, espicaly when they had nobody who really looked like scoring with Scholes gone totally defensive.

They played it really smart and Arsenal played it really stupidly, giving away loads of free kicks.

Henry barely appeared in the game, and only had two 30 yard half chances, Reyes was fairly good until he got injured

Good defensive preformance overall, Silvestre playing great and Brown fine, not as imprssive as the last game imo :/

----

The ref was odd today, I wouldn't say he crap.

He should have sent Pires off, and booked Keane.

As for the handballs, it would have been a very very harsh call, as there was clearly no intent!

Lehman could easily have been sent off, with a deliberate foul on Ronaldo
    Pires should have been sent off, and would have been if he hadn't been subbed
    Keane could easily have been sent off

--

Wenger did everything right imo, as best he could.

He didn't consider this match as important as the Champ League match or the Premiership matches and rightly so, its not.

He didn't want to have a tired Henry or Reyes in the Chelsea match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by PHB
    He should have sent Pires off, and booked Keane.

Pires waves his arm in Nevilles general direction while neville is doing his best Edmund Hillary impression and deserves to get sent off... Yet Scholes puts Reyes out for 3 weeks and only a yellow?

Nice.

Pires gave him a dig in the mouth man. Didnt think scholes deserved to be sent off, bit mistimed but Reyes just has weak little Spanish legs.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Pires waves his arm in Nevilles general direction while neville is doing his best Edmund Hillary impression and deserves to get sent off... Yet Scholes puts Reyes out for 3 weeks and only a yellow?

Nice.

The Difference being of course that Pires stuck Neville intentionally with his hand which is violent conduct and should be a straight Red. Reyes got injured by a tackle from scholes which unfortunaty happens from time to time.
    I Dont expect Arsenal suuporter to be unbiased enough to see this but thats as it was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement