Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight problem connecting 2computers

Options
  • 03-04-2004 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop and a pc in the house that I am trying to connect to each other through a Linksys Wrt-54g (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601)I have turned of the wireless side of the wrt(that will be another days headache) and left it at factory defaults for the moment.Both machines are running Xp:Home on the laptop and Pro on the Pc.Both are connected to the Wrt by cables and both machines are connecting to the Wrt as I can ping it from both machines.The problem I am having is I cannot get the laptop to ping its self or the other pc but as said it will ping the router.

I have all the usuall suspects installed

Client fro Ms Networks
    Qos Packet Scheduler
    File and print Share for MS Networks
    Internet Protocal (Tcp/IP)
    Have also told both machines to obtain IP address automatically as the Wrt is set to Dhcp
    Have tried changing network cables/different ports on the router but no joy.Have also deleted all settings on the laptop and rei-installed

Any ideas
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Any firewall enabled? What IP's are assigned to the PC's?

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Pc:Zone Alarm Pro V4 Firewall
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Laptop:Nortons Internet Secuity 2003 firewall
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I did turn off both firewall but made no difference

Well your DHCP is working fine. Are you sure that the built in XP firewall is not enabled? I'm clutching at straws now.

Cal

You got my hopes up there for a minute, but no neither machine has it running but I appreiate the input

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

having a similar problem.

i cant get internet connection sharing to work on my computers.

the main pc is the host but the laptop whcih is connected via cross over cable cant access the internet.

i am running windows xp home and zonealarm on both machines. the host machine will dial up to the net when i click on mozilla but i cant access it on the laptop.

• Advertisement

Only thing I can think of is an internal router setting . But netgear are usually plug and play so I doubt that is it.

Can see the workgroup from either PC?

Manage to get my two to see each other but cannot honestly say what it was,messed around with the computer name and workgroup settings and also the firewall but it really bugs me when you dont know exactly what was causing the problem

After a bit of checking and re-checking it seems to be a problem when I enable internet sharing under the advance tab in my dial-up connections properties. As of yet not sure why, needless to say even though the share the internet connection tab feck's up the network connectivity you can still not connect from the laptop through the pc to the net. Did you have any luck Irishgeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by cubix
    After a bit of checking and re-checking it seems to be a problem when I enable internet sharing under the advance tab in my dial-up connections properties. As of yet not sure why, needless to say even though the share the internet connection tab feck's up the network connectivity you can still not connect from the laptop through the pc to the net. Did you have any luck Irishgeo?

yeah got ICS wroking. All i needed to do was change some settings in zonealarm.

Advertisement