Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Whiskey from N Ireland

Options
  • 03-04-2004 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Irish Whiskey producers in N Ireland like Bushmills will be put at a disadvantage with producers in ROI, if Gordon Brown's proposals to put Tax stamps on bottles of Spirits made in the UK goes ahead. Has anyone seen much about this in the Irish press?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I have to confess I haven't seen anything about it in the Irish press. Worth mentioning (in case anyone else doesn't know what's going on) that this doesn't just affect northern Irish distilleries - it also affects all distilleries in the UK (yes, Scotland, hell, even Wales too as they've started making whisky there lately).

I can see the case being made for extra costs as a result of this measure but it's hardly the death of the industry from putting a duty paid sticker on each bottle. 600 million in estimated unpaid duty is a fair whack to be missing. Obviously there are security issues and costs to consider as well - a roll of stickers at 5 quid a pop is rather a larger prize to be robbing than a roll of first class stamps. I don't see the massive problem though.

Advertisement