Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool

Options
  • 03-04-2004 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Anyone into tool? As far as i can tell they're relatively unknown over here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

unknown?? huh???

You musnt have been to either the SFX or Ozzfest gigs so..
    they are pretty well known alright, and rightly so, such an amazing band, and their Ozzfest set is easily one of the best gigs ive ever gone to.

recently started listening to Lateralus while going asleep under a friends advice, amazing.... better than any drug ;)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Mordeth had a post linking to a site with information on the "Holy Gift" of Lateralus, listen to it going to sleep in that order, unbelievable!!

As for unknown, lol! :) SFX gig had tickets being flogged off for 80 outside the venue, trying to remember if we were still dealing in punts at the time...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I know a lot of people who are into Tool. I suppose they haven't been as big recently cos it's been a while since their last album, but that should change by next year.

Amazing band, they should be bigger in my opinion.

well lateralus isnt out that long, and their fan base is kinda cult, theyre not the kind of band that churns out albums, tbh id be surprised if there was another one next year (but very very happy :D)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

unknown??? the last time that quote would have been valid here was the mid- late nineties ( i had met just one other like me hehe).... i LOVE tool!! an so do a lot of people i know now... but i dunno if they should be bigger as fozzy suggests... i think mainstream would be shìt for them... theyre more of a band that should be found by their fans, then be on posters everywhere.... an the reason i love them is they play rock which sends out amazing messages, not just good music.. they go a lot deeper than that... and their videos.... *drool* incredible... i would gladly marry any man out of that band! an ozzfest... mmm those visuals:eek: :D ... (seen em twice in ireland... like most people here who like em i reckon....)

• Advertisement

ozzfest was spiritual (and I mean that)
    Standing out in a huge field (of rocks....:p) with loads of other people, tool come out and put on an amazing set, and continue as the sky started to darken... beautiful, and i hadnt even taken anything at the gig...not even booze!!!!

and it looks like there is a new album on the way... yay!

Flogen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147788

here's the link to the thread on the Lateralus Prophecy and Holy Gift.

cool stuff.. very cool stuff
    not too keen on lateralus prophecy myself.. after a re-read of the article it appears to be a sort of first draft.. holy gift works far... far better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

Originally posted by flogen
    unknown?? huh???

You musnt have been to either the SFX or Ozzfest gigs so..
    they are pretty well known alright, and rightly so, such an amazing band, and their Ozzfest set is easily one of the best gigs ive ever gone to.

recently started listening to Lateralus while going asleep under a friends advice, amazing.... better than any drug ;)

Flogen

NOOOOO!!!! dont fall asleep listening to Lateralus! i fell asleep somewhere between mantra and parabola, woke up in the middle of Faaip de Oiad.

Never, EVER, wake up in the middle of Faaip de Oiad. EVER. i had no idea what was goin on, scared the bejebus out of me

Tool ROCK. i love tool, they should, fingers crossed, touch wood, kick dermo in the groin, release an album next year. i hope.

maynard's lyrics are quite fantastical, the music is incredible, aah, so good....

lol
    i havent woken up during it yet, although I did accidently put my cd player on to play ALL the cds in it, so after tool i was woken up by Outkast... which was abit wierd (couldnt figure out where the music was coming from for afew minutes... then noticed the headphones on my head)

Ive made a kinda messy version of The Holy Gift, and i must say I can see it working out, if only I could edit it properly with the right bits and bobs... anyone know where to get in online???

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, Lateralus was released back in the summer of 2001 (or earlier?). For people who make music professionally, thats quite a long time between albums already. Having said that, they did a whopping Lateralus tour, and Maynard being off with A Perfect Circle and the like takes a lot of time too.

I've been listening to Ænima a lot more lately, tbh. For ages I didn't like Eulogy and Third Eye, but one day about 3 weeks ago I decided I was going to look into them a bit more, and now I can't seem to stop! (My housemates are beginning to get a bit annoyed about it at this stage, I think).

I'm a bit ambivilent about the next album - I'm really looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm worried it'll never live up to my expectations after Lateralus. I mean, how do you follow up Lateralus?

And I have to admit, Faaip de Oiad freaks me out at times too. I think its the upset nature of the voice in the recording...

• Advertisement

thoughts of the next album make me smile...

i can't wait to see what Tool have evolved into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Originally posted by Mordeth
    thoughts of the next album make me smile...

i can't wait to see what Tool have evolved into

u bring a very good point about there music how it has evolved from the raw hard sounds of opiate to the quiet smooth and polished sounds of laterlais

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Arucard wrote:

NOOOOO!!!! dont fall asleep listening to Lateralus! i fell asleep somewhere between mantra and parabola, woke up in the middle of Faaip de Oiad.

That means you missed schism (or does it?). The lyrics in that song are incredible! Like poetry they are. Maynard james keenan is a genius. Tool have to be one the most inventive and different bands around. I believe someone said that mainstream would be **** for them and i totally agree. Cult status suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I listened to the whole lateralus album(I skipped parabola though ) last night only (even though this has happened to many of you) I forgot to take out my other cds and I was unpleasantly awakened by Meshuggah's 'Future Breed Machine' and it was the scariest fvcking thing that has ever happened to me espescially when I had the volume turned up pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by crimsonfire
    That means you missed schism (or does it?). The lyrics in that song are incredible! Like poetry they are. Maynard james keenan is a genius. Tool have to be one the most inventive and different bands around. I believe someone said that mainstream would be **** for them and i totally agree. Cult status suits them.

yeah maynards's deadly (well done on learning off his full name :) they evolved to apc (not entirelay true, danny carey's* more crucial to tool than maynard. if you like their music, enjoy it and stop agonising over they're wellknown, in your world commercial or cult. mainstream isn't a status, it's a result of a good band with a good 'image' becoming too well known and popular which in itself is success but leads to the true fans screaming for recogniton and young rockers wearing out the tshirts from ashas botique. the story of king solomon springs to mind (kind of, it's the best analogy i'm prepared to come up with)

*mordeth or some1, ya know carey's middle name, i can stick it in there to look good but couldn't be bothered finding out myself, plus i like the idea of using the asterix reference, makes me feel important

loismustdie, you have a twisted view on the world

Flogen

would that be in the good or bad sense of the word twisted, last poster?

Im refering to your rant about APC... it seems as though your saying Tool evolved into APC.... which would be amazingly untrue..
    Youre opinion about Maynards importance is debatable, although i would say they are all equally important to the band.
    Your views of mainstream are abit wierd too, as you dont need a good band or image to be mainstream (look at Busted and Creed), nor does it always mean you get too famous and your real fans are forgotten (although that does happen)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Dathai
    I was unpleasantly awakened by Meshuggah's 'Future Breed Machine'

Lol, unpleasant is not the word! Hearing that kick in while asleep would make me scream! (In a good way!! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i cant listen to Faaip de Oiad, freaks me out too much. i think i listened to it once ever, the first time i listened to the album!

• Advertisement

I love it, the lyrics are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Originally posted by Mordeth
    I love it, the lyrics are great :)

Not as good as the riffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Isn't Faaip de Oiad a recording of a radio show from the US? I read a little about it, and apparently it was some kind of major hoax on a radio call-in show, but after where Faaip de Oiad ends, the radio station and every satellite carrying the transmission were suddenly shut down. Dunno if that was part of the hoax. Pretty strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

the whole extra dimensional beings thing is pretty freaky though. it sounds fairly real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

What does "Faaip de Oiad" mean?
    The title is Enochian for "Voice of God."
    The talking is from a radio call-in show (Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell). It is one of the classic moments from that show, during which the caller claims to be a former Area 51 employee, and that the military was out to get him. Oddly enough, the satellite which carried that show suddenly died (losing the feed to some fifty stations) during the broadcast. The caller later admitted that the story was a hoax.

You can get more information on this at artbell.com.

Originally posted by flogen
    Im refering to your rant about APC... it seems as though your saying Tool evolved into APC.... which would be amazingly untrue..
    Youre opinion about Maynards importance is debatable, although i would say they are all equally important to the band.
    Your views of mainstream are abit wierd too, as you dont need a good band or image to be mainstream (look at Busted and Creed), nor does it always mean you get too famous and your real fans are forgotten (although that does happen)

Flogen

i said that i was messing about the apc evolution. maynard's a genius agreed but the drumming imo, is a major factor which seperates tool from any other brilliant band. becoming mainstream and being a good band aren't mutually exclusive and i wouldn't suggest otherwise but it does happen to a lot of the best artists, look at bands like nirvana and metallica - they're a good example. also, i'm surprised you compared creed with busted, even if you're not a fan they do deserve more respect than busted?

well... i suppose they do, although I havent heard much of their stuff Im sure its more meaningful etc than 'crashed the wedding'... I take that back, but i still dont like creed ;)

tbh Ive never like Metallica, although their albums have gone from not that good (with afew good tracks) to utter crap with nothing worth spitting on...
    as for nirvana... did they 'sell out'?? Although again they had some great songs, and alot of their stuff is really really good, i always found them over-rated.... Im not sure if i would consider Cobain a genius, he actually seemed like a pretentious prick at times... anyway... yeah, did they sell out??

it is true that big fame can do damage to bands, their egos for one, or else they get to like the money and so make middle of the road albums to ensure high sales (everyone knows that anything new or original doesnt make money)

I cant see it happening to tool, their songs are too inaccesable to be mainstream, as in you have to give them afew listens to really appreciate them (which most nu-metal heads wouldnt be bothered doing)

just reminded me of a great maynard quote, after being told that Fred Durst had commented on how much he liked Tool, and how great they were, MJK said something like:
    "Thats like the principal getting a compliment from the fat dinner lady"
    :D:D excellent!

Flogen

i don't want to advertise or try persuade you to like any of the bands i mentioned, but i can tell that you accept that they are musically talented? so i'm happy :)
    what do you mean by nirvana selling out? i suppose after kurt's death record companies at the hands of course of courtney love comtinued making money but i don't think nirvana can be blamed? you say they are over-rated but this ties back to becoming mainstream. i think i'm right to say that in the early 90's any1 with music taste thought nirvana were great but they became so popular they are now overrated, the thing is this doesn't make them any less good but people don't apreciate them anymore

i think tool have potential to become poplular, maybe not fully apreciated or understood but their music is accessable and likable, i liked tool first time i heard them and more and more as i listened to them

i don't want to advertise or try persuade you to like any of the bands i mentioned, but i can tell that you accept that they are musically talented? so i'm happy :)
    what do you mean by nirvana selling out? i suppose after kurt's death record companies at the hands of course of courtney love comtinued making money but i don't think nirvana can be blamed? you say they are over-rated but this ties back to becoming mainstream. i think i'm right to say that in the early 90's any1 with music taste thought nirvana were great but they became so popular they are now overrated, the thing is this doesn't make them any less good but people don't apreciate them anymore

i think tool have potential to become poplular, maybe not fully apreciated or understood but their music is accessable and likable, i liked tool first time i heard them and more and more as i listened to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 harley quinn

tbh I don't think nirvana are over rated, their effect can not be denied they made grunge and all that jazz accessible to people who ordinarily wouldn't have interest in it. The problem with nirvana has been the canonization of Kurt, he saw it and hated it, and in his death it's only gotten worse.
    As for tool they are one of my favorite bands they are just so talented and I think it is more of an equal deal, as opposed to one is more important than the other.
    :) But I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time

Advertisement