Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when do you have to pay VAT and excise?

Options
  • 03-04-2004 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I ordered a keyboard from the US

and when the courier delivered he didn't say anything about VAT or excise

I was wondering will they charge with anything or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

and how? they'll send me a mail? someone will ring me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

if it's fedex/ups - you will get a letter in about 3 weeks, I usually don't mind that, after few months you get some letters from their debt collection agency, after the second I pay up :) why pay immediately for something you hate (import tax) immediately, let them wait :D

if it was sent per USPS EMS and customs wanted their cut then it would be delivered by sds who would want COD for the item. usually it slips undetected (if its small and <200$ declared value :) ) and delivered by an post

worst scum are gls/williames (they do usps airmail for items >4lbs) their handling fee is ridiculously high

no idea how it's handled by dhl, never used them from the states. Airbourne express (another courrier from us) do not deliver, they send you a letter and want you to call them to give them CC details or send a cheque, then they deliver.

I presume your shippment was fedex/ups - wait for the letter(s) - they don't tuck on much of a handling fee though.
    lesson of the day - don't get anything delivered by courrier as you have to pay 21+4 % + handling fee on every item, if you send it by usps ems/airmail it usually does not cost you anything more, but I know sometimes courrier is your only option (had to do it myself recently for my skates, waiting for the first letter from fedex :) )

heheh, it was sent by fedex so i'm gonna make them wait.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is a cheap item (not sure of the cut off) like a keyboard there may not be a charge.

well it's a mini keyboard, about 300g

55$

• Advertisement
Advertisement