Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another year for my exchange to be enabled :(

Options
  • 03-04-2004 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Last year Eircom said I'd be waiting until October 2003 until my local exchange [Crossagalla, Limerick] would be exchanged, after many many phone calls, I'm told that it would be either A) March 2004 or B) It would NEVER be done.

So you could imagine I was dissapointed to say the least, I tormented Eircom's staff to get a new line test done [4 different people before anyone gave me results] And they eventually get back to me to say that it will be after Christmas at the least before it's upgraded, 2005?

No wonder we are the laughing stock of the world, recently I was talking to a German guy online who was saying he must get better broadband, he "only" has a download speed of 512k, you misfortune:) I wanted to download a two hour mix from him & told him it would take a while, he couldn't believe that anyone would be still using modems.

I'm led to believe that Irish Broadband will be offering wireless in Limerick shortly but I have no date that this will happen & I'm not expecting anything, knowing my luck with getting broadband so far I'll probably be out of range! [I could hit Chorus from my house with a stone by the way, & often have done:)

It pisses me off as I'm trying to get an affordable service like everyone else from the beginning but I'm losing hope now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

join the club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I live in just outside the city (Galway), and i can't get it.

Hundreds of houses near me and if lived a couple of hundred feet up the road i would be able to get it :mad:. Its such bs. Then i see the likes of Tuam, which is populated by knackers (sorry to anyone who lives there, i really am) and they can get eircom dsl + the goverment thingy i think. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Limey

pm sent

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Anima

Hundreds of houses near me and if lived a couple of hundred feet up the road i would be able to get it :mad:. Its such bs. Then i see the likes of Tuam, which is populated by knackers (sorry to anyone who lives there, i really am) and they can get eircom dsl + the goverment thingy i think. :rolleyes:

Charming. Way to make people feel sorry for you.

It was more of a rant than a cry for sympathy.

And there are alot of travellers in Tuam if you knew the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

All right folks, try to keep it on topic. Who lives in Tuam and whether they live in marble palaces, corridors or holes in the motorway is pretty irrelevant to the original poster's problem. Or anything else really (don't force me to do the temp banning thing for idiocy).

<edit>I should clarify in case Furez and others are getting concerned (based on the post below): it's only irrelevant/stupid off-topicking I'm referring to - threads often tend to evolve in their own way and that's almost always fine (like Furez' post below)
    </edit>

Limey, where's the Crossagalla exchange? Out the Ballysimon Road somewhere? Like everyone else I've no idea of IBB's expansion plans (or whether they have any actual plan so far) but if they go for an install in town you might be out of luck there, if they go for anything up Keeper Hill you'll probably be able to take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Crossagalla Exchange is located in the Eircom depot on the Ballysimon Road, 2 years ago Eircom moved every body on the east of a line from the Parkway Roundabout to Krups Roundabout to the new mini exchange in Crossagalla, and, in typical Eircom fashion "forgot" to inform anybody, it only became known to people who thought they were on the Roches street exchange when they applied for DSL. I have been unable to get any answers from Eircom on their plans for enabling Crossagalla exchange.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They have 2 of these mini exchanges (aka Concentrators) in Galway city as well, Knocknacarra West of Ballymoneen Rd. and the College Rd/Lough Atalia area, neither is enabled or will be from what I can find out.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Only A Bit OT...

But even after an exchange is enabled it can take 2 months ... and counting before its actually launched. Nothing can happen before its launched. Case in point Carrickmacross , Co. Monaghan.

Furez

Limey i'm in the same boat as you know.

Went in to eircom today and they told me that it will be another year (march 2005).

Which kinda sucks :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Went in to eircom today and they told me that it will be another year (march 2005).
    You will probably find that they are all March 2005 (where a date for upgrade is indicated.

Eircom may or may not be in the process of upgrading exchanges, but all exchanges 'scheduled for upgrade' according to the dsltriggers site give this date.

Eircom staff appear to be using the same database as the dsltriggers one. I would pay no notice to whatever info is got from this as the info is highly suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

Limey i'm in the same boat as you know.

Which kinda sucks :dunno:

It's a disgrace in this day and age we have to go to this hassle to get a proper net connection.

Carrigtwohill Exchange
    Co.Cork

im still waiiiiiiiiiiting.....

Originally posted by BArra
    Carrigtwohill Exchange
    Co.Cork

im still waiiiiiiiiiiting.....
    And I suspect you'll be waiting a while. I don't know whether that Gable/Blandcrest development went ahead but population was 1411 in the last census and Eircom are or are pretending to make their decisions based on that.

tens of housing developments have gone up in the 4 years after the 2000 census, well over 2k population now

whats the gable/blandecrest thing?

Originally posted by BArra
    whats the gable/blandecrest thing?
    771 no. dwelling units, commercial/retail units, creche, shopping centre, recreational amenities.
    Terrylands, Carrigtwohill, Co.Cork.
    (about 1/4 way down, ctrl+f for "gable")

haha, im sorry i just didnt recognise the name, yes thats going ahead and construction has started about a month ago, my house overlooks the place

hopefully this will help get my exchange upgraded quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

I'm in Tuam and I'm looking to get "broadband" - I'm on IOL Anytime now, my contract won't be up untill June, but they said I can switch to IOL Broadband with the 8GB cap, which im thinking about going for (only €9 more than what I'm paying now) - but what's this government thing in Tuam that Anima was talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Contact ESB Telecoms and ask to get onto their Powerline trial. You could be too late but there's no harm.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

ESB Telecoms - cant find a contact number anywhere - any advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement