Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations needed: Bluetooth usb dongle that works with Nokia 6600/6310i

Options
  • 03-04-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

I've got a Nokia 6600 and a Nokia 6310i, can anyone recommend a Bluetooth usb dongle that'll work with both?

I've gotten one from komplett that I can use to send files to the phones, but I can't use data suite.

Tks
    C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Ok, if you send files via bluetooth the dongle IS working. The datasuite I found to be a bit tricky. The datasuite works via a serial connection so you are basically "tricking" the datasuite into thinking it is connecting to your 6600 via serial rather than bluetooth. I have the 6600 also and what you need to do is as follows

First of all go to my bluetooth places on your PC

Click on "View My Bluetooth Services"

You will see an icon for "My Bluetooth serial port" - click on the properties for that to see what COM port it is set to. Just take note of the com port

The just enable the serial port by right clicking on "my bluetooth serial port" and then selecting Enable

That basically hooks the bluetooth connection to a com port so you can use the data suite.

Next thing you do is go to My Bluetooth Places again and select view devices in range. You should see your Nokia 6600.

Double click on the icon for the 6600 and you see "bluetooth serial port on Nokia 6600". Right click it and then select "connect to bluetooth serial port"

You get a status message saying that bluetooth is connecting (or something similar) and you click the OK button. Now, it may come back and fail saying connection not made (in fact it nearly always does this for me) but a couple of seconds later the mrouter application (part of the datasuite which handles mapping the com port to a bluetooth connection) will show a "connected" status in the taskbar. This means you have a serial port connection via bluetooth to your 6600 although it is really a virtual serial port connection.

Make sure that mrouter is looking for a connection on the right serial port. Remember the COM port number you took note of at the very beginning. You need to tell mrouter to use that connection for connecting your 6600. You do this by right clicking on mrouter in the task bar and the selecting properties.

This sounds complicated but I did go through the same problem with the 6600 myself. Once you are getting the bluetooth file transfer, your usb dongle is working so don't go buying a new one thinking there is something wrong.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Bogger77
    I've got a Nokia 6600 and a Nokia 6310i, can anyone recommend a Bluetooth usb dongle that'll work with both?

You'd need to make sure the 6310i has software V5.50 or greater on the phone itself to work with the Data Suite over Bluetooth, versions before that only worked with the Nokia/Socket Bluetooth CF/PC Card, more details in this thread.

As alleepally says getting the PC Suite working with a Series 60 handset (like the 6600) can be tricky alright... there is a link in this thread with a visual guide I stuck together a while back describing how to set up a 7650 with an adapter using a Widcomm based Bluetooth implementation had feedback from 3650 and 6600 owners saying it got them set up too)..

So you should be able to get it working with your current adapter, if you have no joy make sure to check the adapters vendor's support site to see if they are offering an updated version of the Bluetooth Software. Also check the Nokia site to see if there are any updates to the PC Data Suites.

If you are still stuck post back the Model/Manufacture of your adapter, or take a look at a TDK Adapter it is one of the best adapters available in terms of support and software updates and enhancements...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭ethanf

i agree with dublinwireless, apparently tdk bluetooth adaptors are the best to work with nokia bluetooth phones.

p.s do u happen to work with eric??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ethanf, are you asking if I work with eric?

I should have said that I'm actually buying a new dongle anyhow, regardless, so I'm thinking TDK looks to be the best

Tks Guys

Advertisement